Note: I'm sorry I have been absent . . . my Vaio melted down yet again and has returned to San Diego (yet again) for servicing. I will confess that at the moment of this latest meltdown, I had unclean thoughts regarding what I would do to Sony if it was standing in front of me. Not sexy unclean thoughts--the other kind. So here I am typing on my trusty "old" Vaio that--thank goodness--I kept as a backup. If I had not just dropped a ridiculous amount of money on the new Vaio one year ago, I would have already given up and purchased an Apple notebook. Anyway, I have been computer-impaired and am trying to catch up now. So, on to my new post:
***********************************************************************************
Not with a boy, silly! With my new iPhone! Yes, I have been freed from the chains of the Palm Treo, stepping into the light while blinking and wondering how to live on this other side that is free of technical errors, user unfriendliness, my phone dialing people from my purse at the precise moment when I am talking about them, etc.
I did not suffer through yesterday's craziness of the "Launch Day." I had an early (7:30 am--yikes!) doctor's appointment and afterward, thought I would just hop on over to the AT&T store and take my place in line. Yeah, right . . . so, seeing 80+ people in line at a tiny store that would not open for another hour and a half, I turned around, walked back to my car and drove to work. When I read about how Apple's system responded to thousands of new log-ons in 22 countries, I felt relieved that I had been spared that agony. But hearing that many stores would receive new shipments this morning, I thought I might see how my luck ran with a Saturday morning purchase attempt.
Despite my being an early-morning-challenged person, I sprang from my bed at 7:00 am today, dressed, popped into Starbucks and was in line at the AT&T store near me by around 7:40 am. I figured either there would be no one or I would have lots of company--I was wrong on both counts, as I was the third person in line. By 8 am there were 13 of us in line, and I'm guessing there were around 40 in line by the time the store opened at 10 am. Just before the opening, the store manager assured us that at that point, there were iPhones for everyone in line, so long as we did not want the white model. But I have jumped ahead in the story . . . here is the story of how my iPhone and I got together:
I had come prepared with a book to read: Ann Patchett's "Truth and Beauty," which I read and loved before and wanted to revisit. Concrete sidewalk notwithstanding, I thoroughly enjoyed the all-too-rare experience of uninterrupted reading time with no pressure to be somewhere else.
The store is in a strip mall near the lake, and its parking lot was really busy early this morning, with lots of people who had apparently taken part in a group walk or training run of some kind. I tried not to think about what it meant that I chose to be the person sitting on the sidewalk, in line to buy a phone at 7:30 am, rather than the person walking next to a beautiful lake. Some of the runners/walkers passing by looked at our line as if we were wild animals of a species they had never seen before, and others wished us luck at buying our phones.
Speaking of a different species, a 20-something girl wearing a hot pink t-shirt, jeans and metallic flip flops walked up just before 10 am and appeared confused by the line, and surprised she couldn't just walk into the store. She kept looking from the locked door to the line, and back at the locked door. Finally, she asked the first guy in line what was going on. He looked briefly stunned, then said, "The iPhone? We are all waiting to buy the iPhone." She gazed blankly at him, and it appeared she still did not understand but did not want to admit it. She paced back and forth a few times, then left.
Shortly before the store opened, an off-duty police officer arrived for his shift. He stopped at the front of the line and told us, "Now, I'm about to walk over to that doughnut store to pick up breakfast for these people, and I don't want any comments when I get back." We looked at him innocently and being the smart aleck that I am, I said, "What kind of comment could we possibly make in that scenario?" He laughed uncomfortably and we all tried not to look when he returned with a large box of doughnuts.
One woman joined our line with a baby, which seemed odd. Thankfully, the baby was relatively quiet. The guy to my right is apparently some sort of technology guy, as he told his friend who called from London that he had helped build the 3G network the iPhone uses. He also provided more than an hour of tech support to his London friend, sometimes so enthusiastically that I was forced to subtly plug my ears in order to maintain focus on the book I was reading. The girl to my left was studying for the MCAT exam; she had taken her parents to the airport at 5am and thought she might as well wait in an iPhone line because she was up anyway. A father and daughter duo to her left fetched their laptop from their car and watched a Transformers movie on it, with him seeming more intensely involved in it.
The MCAT girl saved a spot for me when, seeing all the spaces left by the departing walkers and runners, I stepped away briefly to move my car closer. But I needn't have asked her to do that, as everyone respected the sanctity of the line and one could freely leave and regain his/her spot at will.
And then, in the blink of an eye, I had been "pre-qualified" and let in the door. There were glitches in the cash register I was assigned to, but I was still out of there by 10:25 or so. Whenever I started to feel annoyed by the glitches, I dove back into my book.
The rest of the day?
(1) car wash/detail--badly needed
(2) Cubs game
(3) iPhone setup, which included an iTunes upgrade, the loading of unloaded CDs and downloading of 2000+ songs to the iPhone
12 July 2008
i am in love
Posted by Lisa at 4:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
The iPhones are really neat!
1. Poor "new" Vaio. If you decided to switch to a Mac, put the Vaio out its misery. Preferably by dropping it out a window.
2. An interesting fact I learned about the Pittsburgh city police from a trainee - they are instructed to stay out of Dunkin Donuts and other doughnut shops.
Hooray you're in love! :-)
But...you needed to move your car closer?
I don't know what the emoticon is for confused. But I'm sure there was a reason for moving the car other than you wanted it closer when you got out of the store.
I'm thinnnking about the iPhone but not very seriously. I'd like better access to email in my pocket (I have pseudo-access via my crap phone right now) but it's not important enough to me or my clients that I pay the extra money (and cart around the extra bulk).
As for lines: in Cuba (remember, it's a former/pseudo communist country where lines are part of the culture), they have a system that makes it such that people don't have to actually stand in a line. The way it works it that when you walk up to a bunch of people waiting, you ask, "lo ultimo"? and whoever was the last to arrive before you waves her hand or say "yo" or "aqui". And then you know you're behind her. When the next person comes up and asks, "lo ultimo?" you point to yourself, and then that person knows they follow you. And so on. And all you have to do is keep track of the one person in front of you, and you're cool.
I barfed this up royally at a bank in Havana, but got it straight for my next bus ride.
As for the iPhone -- they're now legal for everyone in Cuba, but no one has any money, so never mind.
I'm jealous - I've got an original iPhone, and would upgrade if I could.
Also, if you need any help switching to a Mac, let me know.
I can't believe we don't have the new iPhone yet. We've visited it, but Al just isn't ready to make that big step. I think he's mostly concerned about the fact that our cell phone bill will double. We're not big cell phone people, but we're huge gadget geeks and I feel very behind. And as we sat in a car wash, waiting for the severe thunderstorm to pass over us, I really wished I had the iPhone, then I could have called up a radar and known not to go that way!
Good story. Clearly a bond forms between people when they've done time together, be it in jail or lined-up in front of the AT&T outlet at 7:30am.
I hope you enjoy your new iPhone. As for me, I'm stuck in a three-year contract with a non-GSM carrier. My (inevitable) iPhone purchase will have to wait. :|
Hi, people, what lovely comments you have left!
Jenn: (1) it certainly has crossed my mind! and (2) perhaps this officer has undergone similar training, as he was very sensitive about the topic of doughnuts.
Phil: (1) I moved the car closer because the top was down and I felt it was safer view of the line than in a more deserted area--not sure why I didn't just put the top up, lazy, I guess! (2) the Cuba angle on line protocol is funny, though I would guess they have line-waiting down to a science there (3) regarding getting your own, I'm biased now, but (a) the iPhone must be slimmer/lighter than your current phone (b) one of my favorite features on it is that it tracks all of my email accounts--not only work, but personal email accounts as well--and notifies me whenever any of them has a new message (c) if it is important to you to have music and a phone when you travel, this would actually save you space! (d) the audio quality on the phone is incredible, even through the little Apple ear buds that come with it.
Steve: (1) from what I understand, there isn't much about this phone that isn't on the original one, so don't feel bad! :) (2) I will definitely take you up on all Mac help and guidance if I make the move.
Kell: I don't think you would regret an iPhone, though there is something to be said for watching that cell phone bill. I justify it because my firm pays a certain amount of my bill each month, which keeps the portion I have to cover within reason.
Brett: Don't worry, I'm sure this phone will be even better by the time you are ready to buy and you won't regret waiting. On another note, I'm so glad you posted! I was just on your site yesterday after learning from Beatrice's site about your last few months, but couldn't figure out how to leave a comment for you--I am very relieved to hear you are doing well now!!!
Hi Lisa,
Thanks for your kind comments. I am indeed doing better, and I feel that I've reached a full recovery, so I'm more than pleased to commit the experience to the past.
As an aside, Beatrice will be delighted upon hearing that you read her blog.
As for comments on my site, I now publish to Apple's new MobileMe service, which just came online a few days ago, and bugs seem to persist through this transition, one of which is the disappearance of my comments link on each post. Hopefully it will return in the near future, as I dearly miss the dialogue with my dozen or so readers. :)
I hope you're well.
Regards,
b.
Post a Comment