10 August 2008

"Where the head should have been, there was only a wild foliage of ferns and flowers."

From Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert, which I am now reading:

He showed me a sketch he'd drawn once during mediation. It was an androgynous human figure, standing up, hands clasped in prayer. But this figure had four legs, and no head. Where the head should have been, there was only a wild foliage of ferns and flowers. There was a small, smiling face drawn over the heart.

"To find the balance you want," Ketut spoke through his translator, "this is what you must become. You must keep your feet grounded so firmly on the earth that it's like you have four legs, instead of two. That way, you can stay in the world. But you must stop looking at the world through your head. You must look through your heart, instead. That way, you will know God."
This passage struck me squarely in the face. I have found the practice of law to be a profession for which my perfectionistic attention to detail, analytical bent and thirst for justice are uniquely suited. However, I now believe the practice of law also brings out the worst aspects of my character and vanishes the best aspects of my character. I mean, how many people associate with good lawyers the following qualities?: adventurous entertaining free spirited independentstylish wacky (These qualities having been attributed to me by some friends in a silly Facebook application we enjoy).

Actually, on reading this, I realize that those characteristics would be highly coveted in a lawyer, as they suggest a person who takes creative approaches, someone with whom people might enjoy working, a woman who doesn't take herself too seriously. Is it possible that I have been choosing to squash down my better instincts, in favor of the least attractive (and least successful) ones?

0 comments: