24 May 2009

Letting Go of the Papers

I have embarked upon a major simplification effort, one in which the first step is tackling and purging the physical clutter that surrounds me at work and at home. To assist in my efforts, I have been reading organization books for tips. I was struck by the fact that nearly every source I have read advises one to throw out any object that carries negative emotions or memories.

This has been really hard for me. There are a number of documents I have held onto that I thought I needed for my own protection. They serve as documentation of certain things from the past. Every time I run across them, they make me feel angry and hurt and victimized all over again, but I hold onto them out of fear regarding what might happen if I need them one day and don't have them. Today I spent a few hours de-cluttering my office, and I threw away a garbage-can full of papers. Among the papers were some notes of mine that were very emotionally charged, and I let them go without regret. I do worry a little that I will need them one day. But I was able to throw them away today because in the calculus of my mental health, I now believe the price of hanging onto those documents exceeds the price I may pay for letting them go.

3 comments:

Marsosudiro said...

Wow, that's amazing advice. And good calculus on your part.

Serious question: for those with fast scanners and a fear (legitimate or otherwise) of throwing out what might be wanted later, would it be OK to keep a digital copy?

This weekend I had a mini-20th reunion with a college friend who (like me) decided to miss our official reunion in Providence. Today we had lunch at my parents' house where I keep my old photos. Looking for some from 1989, I came across a letter that my friend had written in '90. It was nice to see her old handwriting. Nicer still to see her current self when I came back downstairs to share the pix.

But back to your theme. Do I have objects that carry negative emotions or memories? I count my blessings in realizing that I have maybe zero objects that have only negatives attached. I may have a few that carry a mix, though I think/hope that my own calculus would say "keep" instead of throw.

I send blessings your way for more of making your surroundings as healthy as you would want and need them to be. Enjoy the freedom. Enjoy the joy.

Marsosudiro said...

p.s. -- I just had a completely freaky Word Verification. Ack!

This one is better: "wigativi"

Lisa said...

Phil, I'm glad you and your friend were able to get together, and it's even better that you were able to lay your hands on a memento from your earlier time together! When I was home last time, I saw a friend of 20 years ago and tried to find some of our high school notes at my mother's house, but was unsuccessful.

Regarding your very good question, the organizers definitely recommend saving documents electronically rather than in hard copy when possible. But for the documents I wrote about here, saving them in any form would have the same effect, a weighing down and beating up of myself that I'm trying to leave behind, which would happen whenever I stumble across them. My thoughts about "needing" them sometime in the future are not very realistic . . . these aren't tax documents or anything similar. Throwing them out is an exercise in letting go of past disappointments or hurts and looking to the future. Sort of an "If we build it, they will come" way of thinking. :)