Because it's been so darn long since I wrote, I'm going to go pure stream of consciousness on you. Ready? Set, go!
So, no official word yet on the potentially state-changing news. Will keep you posted! In the meantime, one of my best friends in the office has accepted another job, which makes it even easier to move on if that is what fate has in the cards for me.
In the meantime, I've been in a whirlwind of preparing my house for the possibility that I may sell and leave it (not necessarily in that order). This is a time-consuming endeavor that brings up all kinds of emotions. Chief among which is: why didn't I do this sooner so I could enjoy my house while actually living in it for a while!?!? Seriously. My potential realtor-to-be solved my bathroom update dilemma in all of five minutes, and it took me only a few days after her visit to find and purchase a new vanity for said bathroom. What was I waiting for?
One of my house-purging tasks is to get rid of the desktop computer I have not used since moving in 10 years ago. I finally summoned the courage to turn it on, then realized I had somewhere along the way tossed the only mouse that would work with it (the kind with an old-fashioned round green plug-in rather than a USB). So my tech-savvy friend was nice enough to borrow a suitable mouse from his work, and I'm back in business!
The key thing I wanted to get from this computer is the backup file that holds the bit of geneaology work I did a decade ago. I'm having some trouble copying that file from the big old computer, but was happy to discover it on one of the disks (not CD) that I had with the computer. Now: to find a computer where I can transfer it from that disk to an actual hard drive. Sigh.
While researching Family Treemaker to find out about how to use this old data (assuming I find a way to copy it onto a device invented in this decade) in a new version of the software, I ran across a Family Treemaker community blog. The topic at the beginning was how to account for unmarried and childless family members in a family tree. For some reason, as I was reading that post, I had the most bizarre thought about how ironic it would be if I died just as I was reading that and someone found me with this laptop in hand, with that topic on the screen. Well, at least they would know instantly how to list me on the family tree. Dark, I know.
I have this fantasy of beginning life in a new (old) city as a perfectly organized person. I used to be that person. Is it possible to go back to being that person? Perhaps new geography, combined with 2/3 less living space, will help me leap back to that old self.
As is also true regarding the question of whether this post is a harbinger of a more regular posting schedule, time shall tell.

2 comments:
Thanks for the post! Indeed, it had been so long that when I started reading in my blog reader, I thought you were a different Lisa who just bought her house a few blocks from me last year. Got confused for a sec. Then got back on track :-)
Regarding potential new life in old place -- there are a couple of sayings you may find interesting:
1. "You can never step twice in the same river." While the structures and feel may be largely the same, the water (and everything else, including you) has been moving since you were last there. Still, the nature of the place will have many of the things you remember. The joyous task is in blending the new and the familiar.
2. "In times of transition, we find ourselves doing old things in new ways" (paraphrase) from William Bridges.
Big hugs to you!
Funny about the mistaken identity, Phil! Living in Chicago would be interesting because I have never lived in the city before--only been there as a tourist. Where I grew up was only an hour away, but thousands of miles in terms of experience. So, it will be like living there for the first time for me! Your quotes remain valuable, though, and still very applicable to my situation--thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment