I have been bogged down for several weeks now with planning the mundane details of home remodeling, packing up 23 years of life in Texas and coordinating my new apartment in Chicago. But now that much of my work in those areas is complete, I finally had a moment to catch my breath and think about the deeper question: once I get there, how will I make sure life is different?
I ask this because I realize that geography isn't everything. While I think it will be nice not to drive by "Welcome home, George and Laura" signs on my way to work and to live in a city that has culture out the wazoo, I want my daily life to be structured so as to help me become the person I want to be. So far, that means: (1) quality time with dogs, in the form of walks; (2) quality time for me, in the form of working out regularly to lose weight and be more healthy and making an effort to reconnect with old friends and meet new ones, too; and (3) last but not least, recapturing my organized self at work, which lets me operate at my best.
I have fifteen hours of road trip in which to think about this. I am really looking forward to it!
18 October 2010
Planning A New Life
Posted by Lisa at 9:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Lisa!
Congratulations and hugs to you :-)
I think it's amazing that you've made the physical transition as quickly as you have.
As for the subsurface transitions that take longer to manage, have I pestered you yet about this book?
http://www.amazon.com/Transitions-Making-Changes-Revised-Anniversary/dp/073820904X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1287501675&sr=1-1
I think I have. But here you go again! The intro and first chapter may be all you need, but the rest is good, too.
Phil, thank you for the congratulations and the hugs! And I always love your book suggestions, whether on the first time or the third. ;P
Post a Comment