05 September 2006

Planes, trains and automobiles

I believe I have enjoyed every possible form of transportation today. My friend and I took a taxi cab to the Shedd Aquarium this morning, then walked back along the lake. I popped into a new favorite place for lunch and learned while there that my flight had been cancelled and that I was now on a 7 p.m. flight.

This left me with just enough time to jump on the "El" and take it to Wrigley Field, where I saw the last 5 innings of the Cubs' loss to the Pirates. Jumped back on the "El," (more quickly than I could have imagined, thanks to my using the super secret entrance to the Addison El station that only I and a handful of other Cubs fans know about), popped into the hotel to pick up my bags, then lugged said bags up the steps to the El that would take me to the airport.

Plane's departure was delayed, reached Dallas around 9:45 p.m. Retrieved luggage, relieved to find car (not a given at DFW), only to find that my car was deader than a doornail, as they say. Called AAA and had car's death (or serious illness) confirmed, realized with tow truck driver that a flatbed was needed. Awaited arrival of flatbed and watched anxiously as car was loaded. Rode with tow truck driver to rental car facility; rented car, then met flatbed driver and car at dealership, where I dropped keys in drop box, resisting temptation to get out matches and light my car on fire in the service bay for them to find in the morning. Arrived home around 12:45 a.m.

Did I mention that this will be my car's 19th service visit in the six years I have owned it? 19.

Argh.


Don't buy a Volvo. And if you do, God forbid, decide to buy a Volvo, don't buy it at Volvo of Dallas. I'm serious.

4 comments:

DA said...

Thx for the information. I won't buy it in Dallas then. Oh and happy belated birthday Lisa!!!

Kell said...

You poor thing! What a rough ending to an otherwise great day. If I could live in a place where I didn't need a car, I would be ecstatic.

And thanks for the offer for Italy info! My email is kellpatt@yahoo.com. Thanks for any and all adivce!

Jay said...

Well that was a pretty sucky ending to the trip. But, at least your home and hopefully had a great trip.

Maybe you should trade the Volvo in for a nice dependable Toyota or Lexus or something like that?

Lisa said...

I did have a great trip, thanks, and will write about it soon! And yes, I am searching for another car now--this is really getting old. On the bright side, I negotiated the price of the repair down to a less unreasonable number.