18 June 2008

Thinking about what is important

Like so many others, I was shocked and saddened by the death of Tim Russert. A talented and likeable guy, his life ended unexpectedly when he was at the top of his game. He was too young to go and both those who knew him and those who didn't are pained by his loss. Tim Russert's news colleagues and political friends have mourned publicly, in tributes on the Today show and Meet the Press and many other news vehicles. For hour upon hour, they have cried, laughed and otherwise remembered Tim Russert and what he meant in their lives. It seemed appropriate, until . . .

I saw these pictures, and others, of the Iowa floods. My perspective tilted. I had not realized how severe the flooding was. I had not realized how many homes were displaced, literally and figuratively. And I started to wonder: why we aren't hearing more about the Iowa floods? Why aren't people doing more to help those affected by the Iowa floods? Why are we not hearing hour upon hour of coverage of the Iowa floods?

I also wondered why we are not using Tim Russert's death as an opportunity to prevent others from losing their fathers and sons from heart disease at a ridiculously young age? This article is one of the first I have seen that focuses on the health issue. But overall, not a lot has been said about that.

Life is for the living, as they say. I certainly realize the importance of mourning and have done enough of that here regarding the loss of my own father. But the public airwaves are for the public's benefit, aren't they? And isn't the greatest public benefit one that looks forward . . . to flood relief and health hearts?

Just my two cents.

0 comments: