There is a line in one of my most favorite movies ever, Broadcast News, that has been on my mind lately: "I have crossed some line some place. I'm beginning to repel people I'm trying to seduce."
But for me, it doesn't stop there . . . I am repelling people I'm NOT trying to seduce as well. Since I began spending so much time alone, I have wondered if the few social graces I once had would suffer. And perhaps they have!
Case in point:
This past week, I was at my neighborhood Starbucks, inside, buying my venti nonfat latte. I returned to my car and saw someone had parked about 3 inches away from my passenger's side door. One of my pet peeves is people who are too lazy to park in a sufficiently large parking space, who instead park too close to the car next to them and leave a door ding. I walked around to the passenger side of my car to see if the person had left a door ding, and at that very moment, the person returned to her big-ass car. I tried to sound light as I said (to the very tiny woman), "I was just trying to figure out how you managed to park so close and get out of your car," and she basically looked at me, shook her head and snorted as if I was insane.
This is just one of many, many examples. I worry that I have a greater than average number of friendships that have ended in total silence. Is it possible that I adore Rainn Wilson's character Dwight on The Office because I am, like him, socially "awkward"? I fear I am no longer fit to live among other humans.
09 August 2008
"I have crossed some line some place."
Posted by Lisa at 9:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
If the bad-parking-Starbucks-woman is your best example of how you're supposedly repelling other people, then I'm really in trouble. That's about the nicest "confrontation" I've ever heard of.
She's the one with the problem, not you. She knew she had been caught and decided to be rude instead of apologizing, which is what she should have done.
However, I understand your point. I've noticed that since I've spent so much time alone that I've forgotten how to have a conversation. I either dominate because I don't realize how much I had missed talking to someone or I sit amazed that all these people have opinions since I'm so used to not have to listen to anyone elses. Kind of weird.
Yikes, guys, I apologize for taking so long to respond to your comments. How embarrassing--I am a bad hostess!
Steve: trust me, there are worse examples, I was simply to humiliated to post them.
Kell: I have noticed the same thing, regarding dominating conversations, it's as if I have forgotten how to have give and take.
I'm working on it . . .
Wow...Just wanted to let you know how much this hit a chord with me, Lisa (and Kelli, too). You aren't alone in feeling this way...It makes me realize how much we're our own worst enemies. The fact that I would never think of you as being maladjusted, rude, freakish, or repellent in any way, shape or form makes me realize...hmmm...maybe that means I'm ok, too? I sure hope so.
Post a Comment