Making calls for Barack Obama to Florida tonight, I stumbled into this exchange:
Me: Hi, is Cindy home, please?
Male: Who's calling?
Me: This is Lisa, a volunteer with the Barack Obama Campaign for Change
Male: Brock who?
Me: Barack Obama
Male: That Black guy? [Laughing, he slams down the phone.]
I know it takes all kinds, but it depresses me to know these people share my citizenship.
25 October 2008
Ah, those great Americans . . .
Posted by Lisa at 8:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Kinda makes you want to call him back and hang up in his ear, doesn't it? Maybe I'm just paying closer attention this year (althought I don't think so), but it seems to me that the level of plain old ignorance among the voting public has gone way, way up.
Oh, I called back, Betty! What irritated me even more than the race comment was that he presumed to hang up on a call that was for his wife or mother. This happens a lot with men who answer the phone when I am calling for their wives . . . they speak for her on whether she will take the call, or don't speak at all and hang up. Last I checked, these women had minds and wills of their own and deserve to exercise them.
So I called back, acted as if nothing had occurred and politely asked for the woman again. This time, he sheepishly said, "Just a minute" and then put her on the phone. Then she said "I'm voting for McCain" and slammed the phone down.
I haven't talked to such nice people since the primary, when I reached Clinton voters who acted very similarly (minus the racial comment).
Post a Comment