Written yesterday evening:
This is probably not the time to make a serious life decision.
I am on my way home from Atlanta, having spent another few intense hours in conversation with a man, now my friend, whom I briefly dated twenty-one years ago and with whom I became reacquainted at a college event last fall. Among other things, we spoke of life dreams, and my uncertainty about whether I will or should have a child of my own. This still-strikingly handsome man from my past asked the kinds of questions that got me talking about that, but I couldn’t tell what he thought about my answers.
We are not romantically involved, he and I, nor do I expect we will be. He is the kind of man who deserves a wife of the "genuine trophy" (inside and out) variety. But I care about what he thinks.
I am now sitting on the aisle on this American Airlines flight. Across the aisle, one row up, sits a middle-school aged girl with very blonde long hair. On my side of the aisle, one row up from her, sits a little boy, probably around two years old (I am not good at judging these things). A few minutes ago, the boy extended his arm toward the girl, with his small white sock with blue stripes covering his hand like a sock puppet. She reached out and grasped his outstretched, sock-covered fingers, and they gently see-sawed back and forth for a few moments. They appear to be strangers.
Watching this,

3 comments:
Lisa,
Timing aside, are your heart, head and gut instinct in agreement? If the answer is an unanimous "yes", then there is no such thing as the "right time" to make a serious life decision. Believe that all will be well and strangely enough, all will be well.
It seems that wants are messengers. And tremendous wants are tremendous messengers. (Though in my world it's not always immediately clear what the message is.)
Thank you for sharing this richness. If you ever do have a son, I'm certain you'll be a tremendous mom.
Thanks, friends. I fear that I am now channeling this feeling into adopting a boy dog. I'm trying to resist the cuteness of his huge ears and jaunty smile until I can figure out where that's coming from.
Post a Comment