01 September 2006

On September 2, 1969 . . .

I was born. I feel slightly nauseous at the thought of my 37th birthday. I shall take comfort in the fact that I was carded not once--but twice--when buying a beer at last weekend's Cards/Cubs series. Really carded, as in "we don't think you are yet 21" carded, or so the kind salespeople told me. I can't be that old if I'm still being carded, right?

I want this year to be different. I want to live the kind of life I want this year instead of just thinking about it. I want to be the kind of person I want to be this year, instead of regretting the kind of person I am. I want to reach back to the past only to ground myself, instead of beating myself up for the decisions I have made. I feel cautiously optimistic about this year of years. And I have kicked it off with a weekend in which I already visited old haunts, friends and family and did things that were hard but made me feel better. For the next three days, I will do many of my favorite things in Chicago, one of my favorite cities in the world, and spend time with good friends there.

More when I return to Dallas on Monday . . . happy Labor Day, all!

8 comments:

Kell said...

Well, I'm going to say Happy Birthday now you young whipper snapper! I hope you have much happiness and success in the year to come. I loved the second half of my 30s--so far, that's when I felt my strongest and most confident. Hopefully, I'll be saying that about my 40s, too.

I got carded when I went to TGI Fridays because they have a policy that if they don't see gray hair they check IDs. I thanked my hair dresser for that.

Kell said...

P.S. Our friends that are going to Italy with us are coming up for a planning session in a couple of weeks. I'd love your insight on what I should do and where I should go. Maybe I could give you my email? Unless you have some posting you'd like to do.

Have a great long weekend!

jd said...

Have a wonderful birthday. I am sure this will be a great year for you.

Jay said...

Happy Birthday Lisa! Here's hoping this year will be the best ever!

Betty said...

Happy Birthday. I hope you'll find, as I did, that as you age, you get more comfortable in your own skin. And, you'll let up on yourself a bit.

A Slice of My Life said...

Happy Birthday!

I came over to see the story about your encounter with Clint Black. (Jay told me to!) Then I had to read everything else as well. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, then. I hope your time here in Chicago was good. 37's not bad. 38's better.

Lisa said...

Hey, all, thanks so, so much for all the nice comments and wishes!

Welcome new readers, courtesy of Jay!

To those of you who think I should lighten up on myself: I will try. I promise.

Popeye, sorry to have missed you while I was in your fair city!

Kell, I would love to share Italy thoughts with you . . . what is your email address?