21 June 2007

Sorry, I forgot to tell you.

In addition to fulfilling the duties of my full-time job and my civil rights volunteer work, this week I am very busy with a second job of attending Chicago Cubs baseball games. Yes, the Cubs are playing in Dallas, for the first time ever!

And I have had a glimpse of what my life would be like if I lived in Chicago and attended a Cubs game each and every day they were in town. Except that in Chicago I could take public transportation to the very handy ballpark, while in Dallas, I have to allow at least an hour to travel to the game via a soul-sucking, packed and slow highway.

My dinner for two nights running has consisted of a hot dog and peanuts. So far, the Cubs have won one game and lost the other, and I witnessed history last night when Sammy Sosa hit his 600th home run.

The third and final game is this afternoon. I have a million and two pictures to post for you, of the Cubs and Seattle and even going back to my May trip to New York. Soon, my friends, soon!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

5 comments:

Jay said...

Thank goodness the Cubs traded Michael Barrett before things really got out of hand. The only person left for him to get into a fight with was the ball boy!

Anyway, glad you're getting to see your Cubbies play a few extra times this year.

Don't get me started on the Cardinals. I knew they would take advantage of that World Series win last year and coast for a while. I'm talking about management, not really the players. They're doing the best they can, they're just not that good.

Kell said...

I would go to more things like the baseball games if I didn't have to drive there, park practically in another state, then spend forever trying to get out of the parking lot. It's crazy! But, I know once you're there it's worth it.

The College World Series is going on here, so it's always crazy around downtown. I do like the energy it generates, though.

Lisa said...

Jay, sorry about those Cardinals (not)!

Kell, I have always wanted to see the College World Series . . . someday! I enjoyed watching part of yesterday's Oregon/NC game while out to dinner.

Marsosudiro said...

Gorgeous photo of the boy -- what camera were you using? Any special editing? Or do all baseball kids have such perfectly complected and lit faces?

Speaking of the CWS, my local boys from UNC have once again bowed out to Oregon State University. I really enjoyed watching several CWS games this week. What made them special, I think, was the way the announcers spent a lot of time explaining baseball strategy and the way the plays and players reflected different intentions, techniques, and execution.

The three guys (Orel H. and two others) in the booth did lots to make the games interesting, and now I'm almost eager to get back to the Durham Bulls Athletic Park to watch a few games this summer. I know I'll be slightly disappointed to not have the benefit of three commentators in my ear, but maybe I can read up beforehand.

I may have mentioned here before how much I enjoyed the summer of '89. My then-employer had box seats behind the first base on-deck circle at the tiny Durham Athletic Park (the one featured in the movie Bull Durham). I had few cares that summer, and we had lots of tickets. And that meant lots of luxurious evenings, sitting in the sweaty, sultry, sexy heat enjoying a game, burritos, and beer. Sigh. It's time to repeat some of that goodness, I think.

Unknown said...

Hey, Phil. I did no editing whatsoever of the pic of the little boy . . . it was taken with my Nikon D70, using a Tamron 18-200 mm lens. I was sitting about 5 rows behind the little boy and his father.

Sorry to hear UNC didn't make it to a third game--and glad to hear the announcers did a good job. I'm glad to help translate "baseball" for you at a game anytime you like! :) Especially if it's at that Bull Durham ballpark.