06 September 2007

Arrivederci, voce bella.

As I drove away from Shelburne Farms today, there were tears in my eyes.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was sad to leave, but the tears formed when I heard that Luciano Pavarotti died this morning. Immediately, I found his rendition of Nessun Dorma on my Ipod and listened to it several times. If you haven't heard it, please listen:



Hearing Pavarotti sing live was on the "Life List" I carry around in my head, and now that item will never be checked off. I'm sad for me, and sad for the world because that gorgeous voice is forever silenced.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This, from NPR asking people to describe the sound of Pavarotti's voice:

"To hear Pavarotti is to wittingly empty the breath from your own chest that he may better present its intentions" — Ardith Wagley

"Humanity taking a victory lap" — Bradley Niblock

"All the magnificent architecture that has yet to be built" — Olivia Linda

"The universe vibrating inside your body" — Lea Mai

"The voice of every castrati crying out for heirs" — Charlene Rauch

"What seagulls must think they sound like" — Dick Hershberger

"The sound of your heart when you suffer a tremendous personal loss and you're asked, 'How do you feel?'" — Michael McCarthy

"A newborn baby's first taste of air" — Jessica Carlson

"The upwelling of joy for no particular reason except that you're 17, it's spring and the universe is beautiful beyond bearing" — Judith Anderson

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10376467

Unknown said...

Phil, thanks for leaving this . . . how wonderful.

Kell said...

Nessum Dorma is one of my favorite of his recordings. I just feel it through my whole body.