I had hoped to come back from vacation with a plan for my life. I did, though not quite in the way I expected. Instead of a step-by-step plan for my career, which is what I had in mind, I came back with something different.
At work today, more than one person told me I look very rested and peaceful. I've taken many small trips and even a few lengthier vacations before, but never before have people said this upon my return. I spent a good bit of time today thinking about this. If I appear rested and peaceful, my appearance matches the way I feel inside, even after I was reminded this morning of a certain aspect of my employment which I totally despise.
Here's what I came up with: I believe I appear peaceful because I feel in touch with myself again. I feel a renewed sense of confidence that I will survive whatever life throws at me--I once knew this for sure, but had forgotten it. I know there are some things I need to do for myself in the short term which will help me accomplish the things I want in the long term, and I have committed to do those things. I feel more focused. And perhaps most importantly, I feel a zen sense of calmness that comes from knowing the things that bother me most right now do not matter in the long run, that I won't care about them at the end of my life, whenever that may be, and that things truly work out for the best in the end.
I think these girls, whom I saw while photographing a bridge in Vermont, know that:
And I'm hoping their photograph will help me remember it, too.
10 September 2007
Well, it worked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You know, I've been carrying a whole ball of anger I can't seem to shake over some stuff that happened this past weekend. I really needed to read this to put my feelings in perspective. Will the stuff I'm distressed about right now really matter when I reach the end of my life? No, because I'll probably not even remember it.
So, thanks, for the gentle tap upside the head to remind me that there are far more wonderful things to be obsessing over.
Damn thats a great pic. . .
What an inspiring trip. I'm glad it brought you a new perspective.
Then it was a very successful trip. Glad you're feeling at peace and able to work for your goals. I ask myself many times if this thing I'm upset about now going to matter in 10 years and most often the answer is no. It's hard to let it go, but it's so much better when we do.
Post a Comment