26 February 2008

Now you will understand.

When I read this interview of Texas Governor Rick "Good Hair" Perry by NY Times writer Deborah Solomon, I literally choked with laughter. Governor Perry, you see, just wrote a book about how much he loves the Boy Scouts and how much he hates my favorite civil rights organization. While there are many wonderful quotes in the interview, this is, in my opinion, the money quote:

Solomon: I know they have a dog-care merit badge, but why not a child-care badge?

Perry: Why not teach scouts how to change a baby’s diaper and help out moms? I don’t have a problem with that.
I love that while the writer is pointing out the Boy Scouts' sexism in not having a child-care badge, Perry responds with uber-sexism, assuming the Scouts can help moms, not dads, with child care. Perfect!

A Perry anecdote: my friend's ex is an official with a powerful firemen's union and he had a photo-op a few years ago with the Governor. While they waited for the photographer to get ready, Governor Perry looked down at Brian's boots and said something like, "Those are nice. Where do you have them made?" Our Governor is so out of touch that he assumed a fireman has the money to have his boots specially made, which is a very expensive proposition.

Sometimes I wonder how in the world I've managed to live here for 20 years.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Possibly for the same reason I remain in Pittsburgh (in spite of the soul-searing cold). Because there is great beauty and a lot of humor to be found in the sheer lunacy that is the governing body?

I assume that the resignation of Chuck Rosenthal, that fine, fine protector of the sanctity of marriage, has been quite a hit there as well.

jd said...

I suppose I'm shallow, but I have to admit when I saw this in last Sunday's NYT Magazine I couldn't help wondering why he was dressed like a Catholic priest. Although most priests I know stopped wearing big baggy balloon pants a decade ago.

On another note, I always wonder how much editing Deborah Solomon does on these interviews. I love her column, but most people she interviews always come off a little warped.