I recently joined Facebook after what felt like years of pressure from my friend S (but probably was only months of pressure). While the site has been exactly the time suck I expected, it has also brought me in touch with long-lost friends I may never have otherwise stumbled upon, and that has been nice.
One of those newly back-in-touch friends is a guy from home who I dated the summer before leaving for college. We exchanged a few emails in the course of catching up and all was well until he asked this question: "So, you're still single?" I felt completely tongue-tied. It does show I'm single on my Facebook page, so I wasn't sure if he was just double-checking, or wondering if that means I'm not married, but dating someone, or if he was really asking why I'm still single or if I'm single now, but am divorced or widowed. I think it's most likely that he was just asking and didn't notice it on my profile, so I answered simply and with a joke. But I'm a little embarrassed that this was such a difficult question for me! Weird.
03 September 2008
So, you're still single?
Posted by Lisa at 9:29 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Interesting, huhn, what little questions and things can do to/for us?
I've come to believe that certain questions on Facebook are best left unanswered, if only because it's SUCH A BIG DEAL when you change it. Everybody gets a notice when you switch from single to in-a-relationship or it's-complicated or the other way.
Several of my MD friends are on Facebook and I'm really surprised by that, given how everyone Googles everything these days. One of them advised her daughter to be very sparing with wall posts and comments that are often public.
I recently switched my Facebook relationship status from "In a relationship" to "Single", and was surprised at how much email I got about it.
While it was cool that people were paying attention and cared, I tend to prefer flying a little more under the radar.
Ah, technology.
Post a Comment