27 October 2008

Hertz has the biggest cojones ever!

I reserved a mid-size car to pick up in Wisconsin and return tomorrow to Minneapolis. So I was surprised when they told me at the rental counter that I would instead be driving a gas-guzzling jeep SUV for hundreds of miles. When I asked why, the very honest counter guy said, "Because we need to get this Jeep to Minneapolis." I asked if Hertz would be buying the additional gas I would burn in exchange for me doing this favor for the company, and he looked at me as if I was crazy and changed his story to this being the only car they had. Seeing ten sets of keys hung up on the wall behind him, I asked for a manager and with head-spinning speed, found myself with a different car to drive without even having to speak to the manager.

The nerve!

UPDATE: Welcome to the 10 Hertz Corporation visitors from Oklahoma City who have reviewed this blog posting without comment or apology (yes, I have a Site Meter and am capable of reading it)! If you are wondering how the rental was, please see above. Also, the car I was provided was filthy, with mud stains and dirt all over the driver's side carpet and the inside of the driver's side door. Because I was already late after having to haggle to get the car I had reserved, and because I only discovered this after lugging all my stuff out to the parking lot, I just took the car as it was. But given the premium a person pays to rent from Hertz, I believe the cars should be pristine and the service impeccable. I got neither.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Good for you for challenging the clerk. That was a great question to ask him!

Jay said...

Yeah, good job not letting them make you take that Jeep. It's amazing how many people would just take the Jeep and not say anything.

steve said...

Blatant douchebaggery! Will you be spending any time in MSP?