08 June 2005

A Musical Morning

Damn this new VAIO. I had a beautifully written post nearly crafted, and the finicky touch pad took it away from me, forcing me to start again. ArgGGGGGGGGGGGGGh. I will try again, because I will not let that touch pad defeat me, but please know this post will not be as wonderful as it would have been, BUT FOR THE TOUCH PAD.

Okay, so yesterday I was on my way to the place where I work out. (A rare occurrence--how rare, no one really needs to know). I saw the first of two musical "situations," shall we say. It was a guy who could be an Anthony Michael Hall stand-in (circa The Breakfast Club), sitting in his white compact car at a red light. He was frenetically bobbing his head to some music that I could not hear. But boy, was I curious about what exact type of beat was causing this boy to groove so.

I was still pondering him when, just a mile or so away, I stopped at a red light of my very own. While sitting there, I noticed a man with a portable keyboard, standing at the side of the road. (I am NOT making this up!) He appeared to be playing the keyboard. Not one to miss a musical moment twice, I turned down my low-brow sports/fun radio station and rolled down the window. (I digress: is it still "rolling" when your window is electrically controlled with just the touch of a button?) Anyway, with the window down, I heard some nice music emanating from this man's keyboard! He realized that I was actually listening to his music and he seemed pleased, not wanting the moment to pass. The light changed. I wasn't quite ready to go yet, but I did.

So here's the strange thing. Tonight I was driving home really late from work, taking a totally different route than I was on when I saw this man yesterday, and there he was, at the red light! For a moment I thought he might be a figment of my imagination. But I know he was real. Maybe he couldn't sleep. Maybe he thought, I'll go play some music for the people who worked late tonight. Maybe he was there as a reminder to do what you love, no matter how crazy it may appear to others.

0 comments: