With the recent Deep Throat revelation, my interest in Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein has been rekindled. I have obsessively read articles about them, finally stumbling upon this very juicy one, by Alicia Shepard in the Washingtonian.
The entire article was well-written and interesting, and this quote in particular caught my attention:
Annie Groer, Post reporter who went to Montgomery Blair High School with Bernstein: There are those who say Carl squandered gifts or frittered away a fortune. But one can’t say he’s led of life of quiet desperation. In the end, I think his regrets will be sins of commission rather than omission. You regret what you did, not what you didn’t do. I’m for that.
I think it is because I feel the first sentence could apply to me. Now I want to ensure I don't live the rest of my life in such a way that the second sentence applies to me . . . may my sins be those of commission, not omission.

0 comments:
Post a Comment