09 November 2005

My genius entrepreneurial idea of the day.

How handy would this be: a dating web site that includes "reviews" of each listed person, written by people they have dated in the past. How helpful it would be! How much heartache it would save! At the very least, you could meet that person with your eyes open, knowing what his/her quirks and foibles are and whether you are willing to deal with such qualities. Not only would this comfort the person searching for a mate; it would also alleviate the feelings of the "formers" who fear that others will go through the same pain they did and wish there was a way to prevent it.



For instance:*

"He never really seemed to hear what I was saying, although he appeared by all accounts to be listening. More times than I can count, he asked me about something personal and important to me that I had already explained to him in detail."

"She kept moving her stuff into my apartment, even though we had only been dating for a short time and were not talking about living together."

"I always felt a little stupid around him, as if I could not quite measure up to his intellectual expectations for me."

"He said he wanted to spend time with me, but then picked a fight each time that was about to happen, after which either he stormed off or I told him to go away. So we never really spent time together."

"She posted the intimate details of our relationship on her blog after we broke up."

"After each occasion on which we spent time together, he freaked out and began questioning the relationship, dragging me through the wringer about whether it would continue."

"Her cat kept trying to scratch me while we had sex, which was not only embarrassing, but painful, too."

"He once went berserk at a bad sushi place, beating the maitre'd to a pulp after he seated us in dirty chairs and served us wilted and old-looking ginger."

"He called me when he knew I was minutes away from leaving for an important job interview and broke up with me on the phone."

So, what do you think? Is my idea a winner? Sadly, the lawyer in me tells me that the potential liability related to such a site would not make it commercially feasible. But in concept, I love the idea.

*All of the examples listed here are purely hypothetical.

0 comments: