26 February 2006

Cause and Effect.

So a girl has lots of work she should do on a Sunday. In order to kick-start her day, she has a healthy breakfast at her favorite place and peruses the paper.

Before heading home to get to work, she pops in to say a brief hello to good friends who live nearby. They tell her about some new cool organizational tools at Container Store, and before she knows it, she is off with them for a Container Store trip.

A few hours later, she returns home with her Container Store purchases, which include storage holders for her china and a cart with a complex but fun filing system that will help her get organized. She spends a bit of time putting the china in its holders and putting the cart together (never quite getting those caster attachments to fit properly).

It seems silly to have this new filing system in such a messy room, so she puts away her clothes, unpacks the bag from Orlando and washes her bedding. While unpacking the toiletries from her bag, she realizes how truly out of hand her bathroom shelves have become. So, she spends an hour or so organizing them:



(Yes, this IS the cleaned-up version . . . can't you see how like things are grouped together???) Lest you fear for my sanity, you should know that this is primarily a backup . . . filled with backups on the various types of toiletries I use, along with samples of such toiletries I hope to use one day. But I'm hoping that now that I know what is actually in here, I can stop buying things I don't need. For instance, 6 backup antiperspirants whould be enough, one would think.

Along with this project came the cleaning out of the linen closet and all three drawers in the bathroom sink area. This added about an hour to the project. It was worth it, as I found some jewelry I had misplaced that is really important to me.

Now it's nearly 8:00 p.m. and she hasn't worked, showered, taken the dogs for a walk or done any of the other things she wanted to do today. She's hungry, but not sure it's worth the effort to beautify in order to go out for sushi.

But the bathroom really does look lovely.

3 comments:

DA said...

ahh..women :-)

Jay said...

The container store has that effect on people. So many cool organizational stuff. Then, when you get home, you just have to put it all together and start orgainizing.

If you aren't careful, the next thing you know all your books will be organized by author or genre, instead of just stacked on the floor. You'll organize all kitchen gadgets, pots and pans and spices and on and on. It never ends.

Lisa said...

Dimitri--did you have something to say?!? ha ha

Jay--um, well, uh, they already are . . .