(if I call them "resolutions," they are much less likely to occur).
I may have mentioned that I have a painter here this week, repairing my ceiling where necessary and painting ceilings, my closet and my laundry room, which were in serious need of sprucing to match the rest of the house. I had to clear out the closet and laundry room the other morning so he could work. More stuff came out of those tiny spaces--especially the closet--than I could ever have imagined. I was going to show you a photo of the clothes stacked on my bed, most of which I haven't worn in years, but I am, frankly, too embarassed to do that. (I will take such a photo for myself so whenever I wonder why I don't have a more solid retirement fund, I can remind myself.) And it was then that I had an epiphany: I am a pack rat extraordinnaire, rivaling some of the great pack rats in my family tree. And another epiphany: I don't enjoy living like a pack rat.
Anyway, this weekend I will put stuff back in the closet and laundry room, but I will be thoughtful about it, asking myself for each and every item if I will wear it in the next year--if not, it goes. I decided that I will photograph the clothes I'm keeping out of sentimental value (it's odd how a particular outfit can bring memories rushing back), so that I have a digital image to return to and don't have to house the item forever. I want my house to feel lighter, more organized and easier to use. And I'm fixated on making that happen as soon as possible. I'll take it one room, one drawer or space at a time, so as not to become overwhelmed. But I think this time it will really happen.
****************
Another of my new year vows is to stay organized at work. I have always been an organized worker, but I see that sometimes when things are going fast and furious, that slips a little and I end up with piles of paper all over my desk. I simply can't work that way--my mind is most organized and sharp when my surroundings are organized and peaceful. So I plan to work at keeping things organized as much as I possibly can.
****************
In the "this just ticks me off royally" category is the news regarding Harriet Miers' resignation as White House Counsel. I could not care less about whether she stays or goes, but what makes me mad is that this. When the Jackass in Chief nominated Miers as a poor substitute for the retiring Sandra Day O'Connor, he assured us all along that she possesses the intellect and experience necessary for a United States Supreme Court Justice:
I believe that senators of both parties will find that Harriet Miers' talent, experience and judicial philosophy make her a superb choice to safeguard the constitutional liberties and equality of all Americans.How telling is it that while Miers supposedly was well-suited to "safeguard the constitutional liberties and equality of all Americans," she now is not seen as a strong enough lawyer for this crap White House, as the Washington Post writes:
Bush advisers inside and outside the White House concluded that she is not equipped for such a battle [in response to expected inquiries by the new Democratic Congress] and that the president needs someone who can strongly defend his prerogatives.The Bush Administration apparently thinks we won't notice that this contradicts their statements of support for Miers' S. Ct. nomination and do not bother to explain why this does not show they are huge liars. It isn't as if we would believe them anyway. Maybe this story provides the true reason: Miers was nominated for the Court due to her religion, but a religious person would not be well-suited for the manner in which the White House intends to conduct itself in response to future Congressional inquiries.
****************
In other news, the rain smell on the sidewalks yesterday morning reminded me of Paris. Speaking of Paris, have you seen this web site? I just discovered it yesterday and spent an embarassing amount of time on it, dreaming of living in the various Paris apartments that are for rent, and looking at the neighborhoods where they are, etc. If you love Paris, you will enjoy this site. Oh, and you may enjoy this site as well--a woman who lives in Paris writes about and photographs her life daily, and it is really interesting.
A photo of disorganization, beautiful when it's someone else's, and is in Paris:

4 comments:
I hope that one of the first things Democrats examine are Bush's damn signing statements, especially since he seems to have assigned the federal government the right to open our mail without a warrant...
I'm not going to get any work done if you continue to link to cool Paris websites.
I saw that article this morning and had the same response. It is so telling that Bush thinks he needs better defense if the Democrats are going to really start looking into his administration. I read that article right before the one on how he sneaked in their right to open our mail. Someone, I think it is Newt, has a "Days until Bush is Out of Office" counter on her blog. I should put that on mine, too.
Mmmmm... "future Congressional inquiries". Can those start soon? Like now? Now would be good.
When I saw the headlines that Miers was resigning I knew exactly what was up. They convinced Bush that she couldn't handle the job of defending the White House.
It's probably true, but it does tell you a lot about Bush. Not that we didn't already know this.
Here is a another site where you can find self catering in Paris:
http://www.haveninparis.com/
Post a Comment