19 August 2007

Anniversaries and A Decorated Office.

I realized this week that this summer marks a number of anniversaries for me. Twenty years since I moved from Illinois to Texas to begin college. Fifteen years since the summer I spent with the man who set the benchmark for me on what love is. Ten years since I moved to Dallas as the result of a transfer with my former firm.

Thinking about these anniversaries has brought a mix of emotions: nostalgia, anger, the sweetness of one's first grown-up love and disbelief that I have survived for so long in this conservative Southern city among them. I cannot help but believe that the convergence of these anniversaries makes this a sort of milestone year for me. I have finally grasped some long-sought after prizes and now is the perfect time to sketch out what I want my life to be, then turn the wheel in that direction.

I will think about this in a few weeks, while I explore the nooks and crannies of Vermont and New Hampshire during my fall vacation. But for now, I'm enjoying the open vista before me.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

***********************************************************

On a less deep note, the re-decorating of my office is nearly complete! It began with firm-provided loaner furniture and a very dark little corner. It now looks like this, with only an end table, some art on the walls and a bit of tidying up left to do:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is one of my two identical lamps . . . I love them!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I am proud that I have made such significant changes so economically.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Personal milestones, the ones you keep in your heart, have a way of sneaking up and surprising you when you least expect it.

Your office is so lovely, such a nice space.

Enjoy New England.

Kell said...

I love your office--it's lovely.

Congrats on all your anniversaries. You're right, it does seem like some kind of milestone and you have a lot to be proud of.

jd said...

What a beautiful office, Lisa. Very peaceful. Among your many talents, you seem to have a knack for interior design.

Happy life planning. I am sure it will work out well.

Jay said...

That's a pretty fancy looking office there Lisa! You have a view too!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much, guys! I do enjoy the interior decorating.