Tonight, the team lost to the Mets in a game that could have put us into first place. But the game was special for another reason--Mets pitcher Tom Glavine became the 23rd man ever to reach 300 major league pitching victories. And after the game, Cubs fans chanted, "TOM-my GLAV-ine!", loudly and with feeling. We care about our Cubs. But we also love the game of baseball and its history. That, my friends, is the essence of a Cubs fan.
I'm off to Houston tomorrow afternoon, to watch my Cubs play the Astros three times. I am delighted by the prospect of the road trip (I'm literally driving to Houston) and feel like a kid going to a summer baseball game. Oh, wait--I am a kid going to a summer baseball game! I'll be wearing this new jersey, having reconciled myself to the fact that Mark Prior, whose Cubs jersey I have worn for years, is not coming back anytime soon, if ever.
Wish us luck!
05 August 2007
Here is what you need to know about Chicago Cubs fans.
Posted by Lisa at 10:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Terrible news about Soriano. Hope he's back soon. The Cubs will win the Central anyway, but he's one of my favorite players in the league.
Hey, Jay, I just saw this comment from you--sorry for the delay! I agree it is terrible news, but hopefully he will be back soon. He has such a great attitude and has worked so hard!
Post a Comment