One night this week, I heard the author Anne Lamott read and talk. My friend C was nice enough to invite me and I was really looking forward to hearing what Ms. Lamott would have to say, as I hold her writing abilities in serious awe. Her sense of humor was all I had hoped and expected, though I realized later that her delivery deserved more credit than the jokes themselves for the laughter she won--at least, my laughter.
Here are a few of the things I jotted down:
- "My friend once told me this [a "loved and chosen" exercise she did while teaching a Sunday School class] is a good exercise because everyone is loved and chosen . . . even Dick Cheney." The sanctuary was silent for a moment as the Dallas crowd furtively wondered if it was okay to laugh. And then, they did.
- "On the stem [of a rose tattoo she recently got] I put scripture from the third season of West Wing . . . 'Trust the captain, trust the crew.'"
- Taking ballroom dancing classes with her boyfriend "was like putting Miracle Grow on our character flaws."
Then, on Saturday afternoon, I finally saw the movie Juno. I had heard it was really funny, but it was so bittersweet, too, and afterward, I could not stop crying.
After this, I needed to think of escape. I bought Rick Steves' latest books about London and Ireland, as well as "Honeymoon with My Brother" by Franz Wisner, as well as some beautiful opera and classical music.
Also, there are travel plans to look forward to in 2008:
- March: two Cubs spring training games
- April: attend three of the Cubs' games on the first weekend of the season, with my Mom and then with my friend G (which I believe will be the first time at Wrigley for each of them)
- April: attend Bruce Springsteen concerts in Dallas and Houston with my friends J and B
- June: potentially attend the ACLU membership conference and an American Constitution Society conference in D.C., and visit friends in VA
- August: take my friend T to Chicago for her first Wrigley Field visit
- September: something for my birthday, to be determined
- December: something for Christmas, to be determined.

5 comments:
Looks as though you have spring pretty well planned out. I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow. lol
I feel much the same way you do about Juno, and I gotta say, I'm very jealous of your Wrigley/Cubs trips. I love Wrigley field.
The idea of a day game in Wrigley... happy sigh. I've never been (though I visited Wrigleyville several times in the winter of '93-'94 -- is it still fun and cool? or has it lost its local flavor? or had it already lost its local flavor by the time I visited?) but would love to.
Minor disappointment from my time in Cuba -- I didn't see any of their national series baseball games.
Sixteen government sponsored teams play for entertainment and excellence, and the ticket prices are pretty much nil. Oh well...
http://www.beisbolcubano.cu/home/
Back home in NC, NC Central University has revived its baseball team, which has been gone since the 1970s.
The new team is starting off in style: playing its first season at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park. Next year they plan to move to the renovated Historical Durham Athletic Park, where the Durham Bulls used to play (before they got popular, which is to say, before Bull Durham).
Lucky NCCU! I'm happy for them. HBCUs don't get that many breaks in this world. This is a nice pair.
http://www.collegebaseballdigest.com/visits/nccu.htm
Congrats on meeting Annie Lamott. Bird by bird is inspiring and helpful for many many reasons.
I hope you won't feel too badly about not being more personal or clever when you met her. If we all felt that obligation, there would be many miserable people, for most of us would fail. And the line for signing books would always be far too long.
As for me, my way of avoiding such feelings/stresses/worries/wishes? I skip the readings, entirely. Which is, of course, my stupid loss.
Inspired by your post, I may go to a book reading on Thursday -- the second in a year. A record for me, for sure. Behavioral economist Dan Ariely will read from his book "Predictably Irrational." Oh, and crickey, I see that Bart Ehrman is doing another reading the very next night! "God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer" (Funny -- the OTHER book reading I went to was also Bart Ehrman):
http://archerpelican.typepad.com/tap/2006/01/bart_ehrman_lec.html
Man... such a thing. Book mania. It's been a while.
And now -- the last link in this long and rambly blog comment: a funny story from my friend Christa at the last book reading she went to:
http://xtanor.blogspot.com/2008/02/shoes-houses-shirts.html
(scroll down to the bottom third).
Betty: sometimes, looking forward to these trips is all that gets me through the day . . . and I LOVE planning them!
Steve: interesting to know you see Juno the same way . . . and you're always welcome to join in a Wrigley expedition if you like!
Phil: ditto for you on the Wrigley outing, thanks for all the great reading material and it's good to have you back "On Continent," as they say!
I was going to say "Come to Pittsburgh in September and see the Cubs play at PNC Park!" Except that the Cubs are mostly definitely NOT playing anywhere near PNC Park in September.
*Sigh*. Another year, another abysmal Pirates team.
Post a Comment