08 March 2008

Texas Democratic Primary Part II: Just Before The Precinct Convention

I have lived in Texas for 20 years now and have never participated in a caucus before. I have to confess: before this election, I never even knew about the caucuses, despite having voted in every Democratic Party primary. That tells you a lot about the pulse of the Democratic Party in Texas (or lack thereof) prior to this election cycle. The fact that a longtime Democratic voter like me was never informed of or invited to participate in this process by which 1/3 of the delegates are awarded to a Democratic Party is somewhat stunning, I think.

The Obama campaign did a great job of training its Precinct Captains about how the precinct convention process works. Essentially, polls close at 7:00 pm or whenever the people in line at that time finish voting. At the later of 7:15 pm or whenever people finish voting, the precinct convention begins. People gather in a room at the polling place marked with the number of their precinct. Everyone who voted in the Democratic primary and is present can sign in, indicating their candidate preference. The number of people who signed in are counted, that number is divided by the total number of delegates allocated to the precinct (18 in this precinct), and the resulting number is the minimum a candidate must have to form a caucus and be assigned a delegate.

At first, a "temporary convention chair" who picks up the Party's packet runs this meeting, but the attendees then elect a "permanent convention chair" to oversee things. (The term "permanent" is somewhat misleading, as you are the chair just for that night). I asked about picking up the packet when I arrived, but ran smack into the formidable wall of the Permanent Precinct Chair (a party operative, not to be confused with the convention chair). She happens to be the sister of a former Texas Attorney General whose negative and defamatory whose negative and defamatory campaign against former Governor Ann Richards bore striking parallels to that of the Hillary Clinton campaign. She also happens to be a vociferous Hillary Clinton supporter and served as that campaign's Captain for our precinct.

A brief digression: I was stunned to learn while calling voters that when this Captain or one of her cohorts reached an Obama supporters in our precinct, the Clinton volunteer would treat them rudely, ask questions like, "Do you have ANY good reason for voting for him?" and oftentimes slam down the phone at the end of the call. Great way to win friends and influence people!

Anyhoo, back to the polling place: The Precinct Chair snottily informed me that I had no right to pick up the convention packet (which is not true) and said it was being held for her so she could run the meeting. Then, in the fine tradition of psychological projection, she told me there was no need to be hostile about this. We also discussed the matter of the missing Obama signs, and she suggested that the City of Dallas was known for removing candidates' signs from polling places, apparently thinking I just arrived in Dallas by way of a turnip truck. She then tried to bully me away from the polling place, despite the fact that anyone is allowed to observe the voting process. I soon realized why.

In the short time in which I was present at the polling place while the polls remained open, I learned of Ms. Precinct Chair and/or her fellow poll workers engaging in certain practices that were obviously designed to turn away people who wanted to vote and caucus for Barack Obama. Some African-American voters were told this wasn't their precinct and/or that they were not eligible to vote, but were not given the chance to cast a provisional vote, which they should have been allowed to do. Others, asking about the caucus, were told by those inside the voting room: "Gee, we have no idea what time the caucus will start," even though the time and location for the caucus should have been publicly posted at the polling place. I tried calling the Democratic Party and Obama campaign hotlines, but they were constantly busy. So, each time I learned of these things happened, I stepped inside and asked about it. I don't know if this had any influence whatsoever, but I'm hoping this deterred similar conduct by letting them know that the word was getting about and that we were not going to stand for it.

Next: the polls close, and inside the caucus.

2 comments:

steve said...

It never ceases to amaze me how some of the Clinton supporters behave so poorly. What will these people do if she gets her recent wish to have Obama as her running mate?

That'll be an awkward gathering.

Keep up the good work, Lisa!

Jenn said...

Hi Lisa. Thanks for posting this - I've been really curious about how the caucus worked in Texas.

The more I read about the tactics of Clinton supporters, the more disturbed and depressed I become.