19 March 2008

Top 25 Things I Want To Think Of When My Life Flashes Before My Eyes

Maggie at Mighty Girl deserves all credit for this brilliant idea for a post. Here are the things she wants to remember as life flashes before her eyes.

These are the first 25 I thought of (I know there are more), in no particular order--what about yours?

  1. splashing in a fountain in Switzerland with a friend from home, friends from the road and several American GIs on my 25th birthday
  2. realizing my law school love was in love with me, too
  3. seeing the zoo kids' faces as the tiny South American armadillo skitted around the circle formed by their knees
  4. finding out I made a near-perfect score on the LSAT
  5. the precious, silent moments when my grandmother who was suffering from Alzheimer's and I said goodbye to each other
  6. laughing with friends until I cried and my stomach muscles were sore (many potential examples of this)
  7. my friend's daughter May engaging in her ritual of hiding and making me find her when I visit their house
  8. the first time I saw each of my dogs, at their respective SPCAs
  9. sitting on the tiny picnic table on the back porch of my childhood home, eating hot dogs with my friend Brian after morning kindergarten
  10. sliding down a mossy dam in a rippling creek with my friend Amy
  11. visiting New Mexico with my Mom and Aunt, who had never seen that beautiful state before
  12. hanging out reading, talking and drinking with my dear guy buddies at our friends' house in Crested Butte
  13. any number of wonderful Cubs moments, including seeing the Cubs sweep the Cardinals, the joy of a game won with a walk-off home run on my birthday, being there for a retiring Cub's last game, the great home run race of 1998 between Sosa and McGuire, Cubs spring training (every aspect of it!), Wayne Messmer singing the national anthem, Ryne Sandberg's Hall of Fame induction speech, the kindness of an elderly Wrigley Field usher, witnessing history in Sammy Sosa's 600th home run, the time when I impulsively decided to catch an extra afternoon game at Wrigley after my flight home was delayed, attending my first-ever playoff game at Wrigley Field and on and on and on
  14. my first glimpse of Shelburne Farms in Vermont
  15. writing and delivering the eulogies for my father and grandmother
  16. leaping off a train in France's Loire Valley just as I was about to miss my stop
  17. hiking to the top of Camelback Mountain with friends to distract us from worrying about our friend who was in the hospital in Phoenix
  18. meeting my friends J and M for the first time in a hotel lobby in Redondo Beach, California
  19. the times when my law school roommate's tiny red poodles hid cookies and cigarettes all over the house
  20. the 10-hour "roll" with college friends in the Central Texas countryside, during my first year of law school
  21. driving down the Pacific Coast Highway with the top down, listening to the live cut of John Mayer's "Your Body Is A Wonderland"
  22. looking down at my watch and realizing it was 5:00 a.m. on a weekday and I was still in a bar called "The Dungeon" in New Orleans during Mardi Gras with my friends K and D . . . and feeling like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's as we emerged, blinking, into the sunlight and stepped our way around the detrius in the street
  23. confiding in my Dad that my heart was broken after ending the relationship with my law school love, and finding then and on many other occasions that he was all a girl could ever want in a father
  24. that crazy and impulsive road trip with friends R and M, from Dallas to Chicago in R's Monte Carlo, with all three of us jammed in the front seat singing fraternity songs, experiencing 5:00 a.m. headlight failure and documenting the best lines of the trip
  25. the dear friends I know virtually, only because I write on this blog.

2 comments:

steve said...

#25: I really dig reading your blog, Lisa. If your travels ever bring you to Southern California, I would love to treat you to dinner with Melba and I, with much good conversation.

(And I might take you up on that Wrigley offer sometime...)

Lisa said...

Thanks, Steve . . . I would love to join you and Melba for a drink, a bite and, undoubtedly, great conversation when I return to SoCal! Will let you know when a trip is in the works.