24 October 2012

How Do You Know What You Want To Do?

One of the hardest aspects of my joblessness has been not knowing what I want to do, work-wise. I have a viscerally negative reaction to the thought of working at another firm like the one I am leaving. I don't know if that has to do with the work or is unique to the environment of that particular firm. How do you look for a job when you don't know what kind of job you want?

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say I don't know how to make a living at the kind of job I want. The only thing on which I have focused with enthusiasm in the last few months is developing (pun intended--ha!) my photography and home design business. I now have business cards, a Facebook site, a (not yet working correctly) web site and have even begun advertising to a targeted audience. Working on these things has been pure pleasure. I am excited about it and love the idea of taking photos and designing homes for a living. But it would take quite a leap in the business to come anywhere close to making the amount of money required to pay my mortgage, etc.

I have thought about working with a career counselor or life coach, but haven't taken that leap yet. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I really believe that a bad environment can suck the life and joy out something you really enjoy. Seeing a career counselor is an excellent idea, as he/she can help you figure out how to leverage your past experience into something that you find more exciting and interesting.

Aside from that, send your resume and interview for anything that looks remotely interesting. I got into QA because I answered an newspaper ad which had "Seeking liberal arts majors" as its first line. These many years later I am working in a profession that I love.

Lisa said...

Thanks, Jenn! Good thoughts, much appreciated.