19 July 2005

At the Homestead . . .

While I try to make time to write about the sordid tale of my employment history during what I shall fondly call "the school years," some things have been happening around my house . . .

I entertained my friend Jill:



and her mother-in-law Pauline (visiting from England):



We drank wine and laughed on my much-loved upstairs porch. (I have no explanation for the ghost-like effect on these pictures, other than perhaps the wine?) We had a fabulous time! It wasn't too hot, despite being July in Dallas, and the sunset was gorgeous. We swapped interesting tales of our lives; rather, they provided interesting tales and I offered mere stories. Pauline told an excellent story of her one-year move to Scotland and all that involved. I especially loved the part about how her postman did not understand that a red flag sticking up on the mail box means there is mail there to be picked up by him; instead, he raised the flag after leaving mail for Pauline and Mick. This worked out well, as they could look out their window down the hill and see when there was new mail to retrieve. Genius!

Also, my dogs have become Houdini wannabees. On a near-weekly basis, Mr. Lopez, who tends to my lawn like a magician himself, comes up with creative ways to fortify my back fences to withstand my dogs' tireless efforts to escape. They have repeatedly broken through Mr. Lopez's Alcatraz-like renderings. Given the tenacity of their endeavors in this regard, one would never know that they lead the lives of luxury that they do.

DO THESE DOGS LOOK UNHAPPY, I ASK YOU????



Unhappy looks or no, Kip and Orley apparently think there is something out there in the wide, wide world that would appeal to them more than the raggedly landscaped place that is my back yard. This week alone they have twice broken through near-fortresses erected by my neighbor, Patti, apparently after she has captured them and returned them against their will to their rightful home. What I can only guess (based on the newly built pile of rock) was today's foiled escape effort resulted in extreme exhaustion:



I feel somewhat sheepish regarding this recent escape attempt. I did not think my pets were capable of breaking through Patti's fortified pile of clay planters, bricks and driveway rocks, so I did not even attempt to improve upon it after she erected it during the most recent escape. But upon my return home tonight following a not-bad day at work and a sushi dinner, I found an even more elaborate combination of planter, rock and brick. Thankfully, my dogs were panting on the other side of the fence, apparently having been freshly repenned by the saintly Patti. I interrogated them in an effort to find out who the instigator was, but Orley just looked at Kip and Kip pretended to be sleeping:



So the mystery continues.

P.S. More than anything, I am grateful to Patti for capturing and returning them. I don't know what I would do without these scoundrels.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

They are the flowers in my and/or my across-the-street-neighbor's crepe myrtles. Here is a link to a picture of some very similar to mine:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.warner-robins.org/pix/CrapeMyrtles2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.warner-robins.org/kwrb_myrtle.htm&h=277&w=400&sz=32&tbnid=rmktAJ0SyG8J:&tbnh=83&tbnw=120&hl=en&start=6&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcrepe%2Bmyrtle%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26hs%3DiB6%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official_s%26sa%3DN