08 July 2005

Introspection.

Today I had another day trip out of state for work, once again to the site of my epiphany regarding what I want to do with my life (at least for now). I was lucky enough to dash back to the airport and catch a flight that brought me home at a decent hour. I even found a seat in the front row, and had little enough luggage that I could sit there! While the two men next to me conversed, I immersed myself in the surprisingly interesting in-flight magazine. Apparently, my immersion was so total and noticeable that after I replaced the magazine in the holder, my seatmate actually pulled it out to see what I had been reading.

I landed just in time to have creative thoughts about what to grab for dinner, dash home and become nicely settled in to listen to tonight's Cubs game. Thankfully, I was here in time to here my once-annoying, now-beloved Ron Santo (a Cubs radio announcer) say, "he wore a piece, and he looks great." I will let you imagine what story led to that remark--it is more fun that way.

So while I was waiting for my business meeting, I made some calls related to my new life plan . . . references and networking and such. My efforts were quite fruitful! This was very uplifting and it seemed especially appropriate to take care of these tasks at the site of my epiphany. Tonight I feel a bit dreamy about the new plan. . . and I am feeling a bit wistful, as I wish my Dad and Grammie (also known as my maternal grandmother) were still here so that I could talk this new plan over with them. It is at times like this that I miss them especially deeply, so much so that I have tears in my eyes just thinking about them. But thinking about them also empowers me. I know my Dad would not want me to spend a moment of my life not doing the work that will make me happy, or at least working toward doing that work; I know my grandmother could not imagine me failing at anything I take it in my head to do. It is amazing how powerful the memory of two people can be.

0 comments: