24 January 2006

Baseball and Bill Murray . . . two of my loves

The author of the Feed Me Good Tunes blog has come up with a wonderful post: fielding a baseball team made up entirely of characters played by Bill Murray. Two of my favorites among his picks:

6, Bob Harris, 3B, Lost in Translation
He's publicly suave but privately struggling, old, listless, spiritually unsatisfied. Occasionally finds success with the bat, but mostly in the team for lack of anyone else to use. Mike Lowell's new best friend in a baseball uniform.

Starting Rotation

Bob Wiley, What about Bob?
Throw out the textbook, Peter Gammons. One look at this wackadoo and you'd think of Therapy Tim Worrell. However, look past his infuriating persistency and bullish blend of narcissism and manipulation and you'll find an excellent pitcher: part-Hideo Nomo, part-Mark Prior, part-Denver the last Dinosaur, Bob will paint the corners with his screwball and change-ups that'll have you sprinting for the hills.
By the way, I just watched "Lost in Translation" again (it's been a veritable movie fest at my house, with the DVD player coming back to life and all):



If you haven't seen it, you must. It is a wonderful movie, capturing the feeling of disconnectedness while traveling in an uncannily accurate way.

For the next two days, I will be visiting this fine corner of America:



Jealous? I know you are. I see all the hot spots!

0 comments: