22 January 2006

Sorry about the dearth of posts . . .

I have been on the mend from my second (at least I think it's the second--I've lost track) illness of this oh-so-young year. And, I have also been busy, busy, busy at work! This weekend, I have been immersed in the delightful experience of writing a brief, which makes me look like this:



But I took a break last night to see this masterpiece of a movie with some friends:



If you haven't seen it yet, please do! Scenes like this one (pictured below) are comic genius, and will provide you with a nice break from the earnest and excellent movies like Brokeback Mountain, Capote and Good Night, and Good Luck (which you really should see if you haven't already):



As if that wasn't enough excitement for a single weekend, I engaged in another favorite activity this morning: bringing my home back into a condition considered habitable by humans (and dogs). Now it's so tidy (at least the part not behind closet and cabinet doors) that I want to celebrate by watching movies all day instead of drafting this brief. To make matters worse, I was successful in my effort to fix my brand-new, not working for indeterminate reasons, DVD player. So now, "Must Love Dogs" is tempting me.

Surely I can draft and watch at the same time, right?

UPDATE: Yes . . . yes, I can! Especially when this movie features the two actors who are probably my top two "wouldn't have to think before saying yes" kind of guys: John Cusack and Dermot Mulroney.

UPDATE II: In light of the revival of my DVD player, I watched that Season 2 of Northern Exposure that has been taunting me from its wrapping for weeks. That series, which had its debut in 1990, was truly cutting edge . . . I had forgotten to what extent. For instance, I just watched an episode in which Maurice, the founder of the town, struggled with his feelings of homophobia upon realizing that he was about to sell a property to a gay couple looking to open a bed and breakfast. He is most disturbed by the number of things he has in common with the pair, fearing it calls into question his own sexuality. Ultimately, he is won over by the men's willingness to pay a premium price for the property, and agrees to complete the sale. This was pretty groundbreaking stuff for 1991, and is very cleverly written.

2 comments:

DA said...

Le Penseur by Rodin right?

Lisa said...

Oui, monsieur.