Kell's mention of Thanksgiving in this post reminded me of one of my favorite Thanksgivings ever. If you can't write about Thanksgiving in August, why bother to have a blog at all?
I was a first year law student and too freaked out about the need to study for finals to take time to actually leave the state to go home for the weekend. So a few friends/classmates and I decided that we would have our own Thanksgiving together.
K hosted our gathering and she provided many of the traditional Thanksgiving dishes, as well as a lovely environment in which we could enjoy them. E donated a turkey that he won through a radio contest; I still giggle at the thought of him winning a Turkey, but it's true--he did--and it was delicious! (Looking back on it, it is remarkable that K let him bring a turkey, as she was a fairly staunch vegetarian, I think.) A provided the dessert for our little feast, which if I recall correctly was a "flowerpot cake," with chocolate cake as dirt and other fixings that we found amusing. I cannot for the life of me recall what my own contribution was, but I suspect it was something that required no skill of any kind, such as rolls and wine or something.
K, E, A and I had a great time at what felt like our first grown-up holiday dinner, meaning the first one that we had prepared for ourselves, instead of eating with our own families or someone else's family. Well after dinner ended--later in Thanksgiving weekend--E was kind enough to drive me to the hospital for what proved to be my second of three bouts with kidney stones. I remember this trip most vividly due to the doctor catching E trying to pocket some spare rubber gloves he found in the examination room for later use.
But what I remember most about that time together with my friends was that we felt like a family. It was in spending time with them that I realized we can choose our own families in the friends with whom we surround ourselves. I did not realize it at the time, but that Thanksgiving was the beginning of a family of a different kind.
12 August 2006
Thanksgiving in August
Posted by Lisa at 10:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That's a great story. Cept the kidney stone part. haha Kidney stones on T-giving. I bet that was fun.
Ouch, kidney stones. But what a great story. I remember well those first holidays without my family. I will forever love A Muppet Christmas Carol because Al and I went to see that on Christmas Eve, our first Christmas without our family.
Jay: not much that is fun about kidney stones, really. I guess that could be the topic for another day's post: My Trio of Kidney Stone Incidents And What I Learned From Them.
Kell: Muppet Christmas with Al--that's so cute!
Phil: I could definitely see you being a Thanksgiving kind of guy!
Post a Comment