For the last several years, I have been engaged in a personal religious crisis, meaning that I'm not sure what or if I believe anymore. And tonight I had a realization that perhaps restored all I once believed about religion.
For the last few work days, I have been struggling with a political situation at work in which a colleague (not in my office--in another office) has yet again shown himself to be a complete snake. The matter was resolved today, not entirely to my satisfaction, but close enough for now. But I'm still in that phase where I keep rolling these events over in my head and feeling bitter about them and especially feeling bitter about this colleague getting away, even a little bit, with his snakeosity.
But then tonight, I came home, and I was thinking about it, needing to find a way to put the issue behind me. First, I thought about whether I would even care about this in a thousand years when I have lived my whole life, concluding that being screwed over by someone like this pales in comparison to real life issues, like having a serious illness or losing one's job or a loved one or the like. Then, in my bizarre backwards way of thinking, it occurred to me that there must be some sort of divine plan, some sort of payback, for a person like that. Surely, one cannot simply be a jerk like that and have no repercussions whatsoever. I am a strong believer in karma, and I have to believe this guy will feel its force one day. This thought did not necessarily launch me back to regular church attendance, but it did make me think that even beyond karma, there must be some sort of divine intervention that rewards those who have treated others well during their lives and punishes those who act like this guy. But who knows, right?
It was also really meaningful to me that I received some extra things I needed to get through this situation. By this, I mean that certain people in my workplace were so supportive of me while working through this issue, and they definitely provided me with some extra tools I needed to get through this. It's good to know others have your back, especially when those others are the ones you work with most often.
I took this photo of this precious little boy when I was in Chicago for Labor Day. I feel that he is so much more real than any of the crud I have been dealing with at work:
He danced by himself at Jazz Fest . . . and cried when his mom took him away from the Fest because he was so basking in the adoration of those of us around him.
07 November 2006
Religious crisis averted?
Posted by Lisa at 12:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Glad things worked out with your colleague, Lisa. I don't talk about it much on my blog, but I also believe there is a divine plan.
Glad you have some kind of closure or acceptance with that colleague. I had a person in my life who I considered a horrible person. And once I decided that it wasn't my place to pass judgement and that her actions carry their own consequences, I have been able to get past all the anger connected with her. Granted, it's easier now that I'm not around her, but I carried a lot of frustration and anger for a long time.
So like are you now a Republican? haha ....
Post a Comment