I am a travelin' kind of girl. I love almost every kind of travel imaginable and am game to try nearly everything once. But I must admit that the nearest thing to hell on earth that I can imagine is a cruise. Some people really enjoy cruises, and more power to them, but bless their hearts, I am simply not one of those people. I must admit I am completely and perhaps unfairly prejudiced in this regard, as I have never been on a cruise, yet have totally made my mind up about it.
I thought of this tonight when I dropped in on the blog of someone on an internet friend's links list and saw her excited post about an upcoming cruise. It linked to the itinerary, which offers a handy list of the possible "shore excursions" for each day. Many of the activities do sound as if they would be fun if one planned them and carried them out independently, but the idea of participating in these things on a timetable with a group of people I didn't choose to spend time is incompatible with my travel philosophy. Another sign that this cruise world is not one I should inhabit is that I saw the handy little symbols that assist a person in selecting an appropriate activity and mistook a bottle symbol to mean that drinks would be served, when it actually means children 3 and under who can sit on the parent's lap may participate for free. As anyone who has been reading this blog for any period of time probably knows, spending leisure time with the young children of strangers is quite low on my list of things to do. (I realize they must have "no children" cruises out there, but still . . . you never know when one may turn up!) I believe it is the planned nature of cruise activities is what scares me the most because one of the things I love most about travel is the spontanaeity. I also enjoy just letting myself become lost in a place so I can stumble upon interesting and beautiful sights found off the beaten path, and I have yet to see a "Get Lost and Stumble Around Aimlessly" activity on any cruise itinerary, no matter how wonderful the options may be.
What do you think? Are you Cruise People?
22 November 2006
To cruise or not to cruise?
Posted by Lisa at 12:55 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
The only cruise I would be interested in is an Alaskan cruise. But really, I'd rather head out on my own and choose what I want to do out of my own research than a list. However, considering that I'm the one in our little family who always has to make all the plans and decisions, it is nice to have someone else do the planning and just sit back and enjoy the ride. It would be nice to have the only decision I have to make be whether to have the salmon or the lobster for dinner.
Post a Comment