I'm not sure if you have seen Jay's blog. If not, you should!
His post today is rich with the amazing and interesting details of his trip to Branson, Missouri. But two parts of it made me laugh out loud, not an easy task on a day in which I decided twice to quit my job (the first time, I saw it definitely happening down the road, and the second time, I considered doing it immediately) and cried in my office.
Anyway, back to the funny . . . Jay writes about a couple of store employees whom he thought he might have interrupted while they were, um, bonding:
They were standing on the other side of the building from me talking quietly to each other. It started reminding of being in college, sitting on my bed reading with my roommate and his girlfriend sitting on his bed looking at me like “are you ever going to leave dude?” So, I decided to go ahead and leave. The lady told me to have a nice day and the kid gave me this big smile and the old “head nod” move. But, just before I walked out I spun around and asked for an application. They were both heading back towards that same door when I did this. The woman said “uhh ... sure” and went and got me one. The kid wasn’t smiling at me anymore.
I threw the application away after I left.
The part where I laughed was when he wrote about asking for the application, then throwing it away. The second time I laughed out loud while reading Jay's blog today was during this part, where he describes a convenience store clerk's reaction to a customer who called her "baby" during their transaction:
The lady behind the counter then said “I wish she wouldn’t call me ‘baby’”. I just looked at her. She went on to explain “Men can call me ‘baby’ all they want, but not women. I don’t think it’s a good idea anymore. There’s too much lesbianism going around, ya know”
Going around? I didn’t know it was contagious. Be careful out there people or you will catch the guy!
Then she dropped this amazing line on me:
“I stick to the sticks, if you know what I mean” She had her eyebrows raised and was leaning over the counter just a bit.
Good stuff, eh? You see, this is why Jay is a Golden Spork winner, an honor of which I can only dream.
***************************
The story about people calling each other "baby" reminded me of something I've been meaning to write about. I noticed over the last year or so that people suddenly seem to call me "honey" wherever I go. Seriously. Store clerks, bartenders, waitresses and waiters and the cashier at the place where I get my car washed all have called me "honey." I've been trying to figure out why they do it, and all I can guess is that I'm looking young these days and that they have no idea I am 37 years old. But really, it's anyone's guess.
***************************
Finally, I'm sure you all are just dying to know what I think about the Grand New Strategery for the Vietnam--I mean--Iraq war, which Shrubby rolled out tonight. Well, I was already furious yesterday when I read somewhere that the idea to send more troops to their near-certain deaths came from a national security staffer who wanted to a plan that was not a focus of the Iraq Study Group's report. I'm SERIOUS, people. Do you really think I could make that up? I wish I had saved the article for you, but I didn't.
So, with the high expectations for the speech that that tidbit engendered, I eagerly tuned in to listen to tonight's presentation. You know what I learned? There is no new plan. Just the same old one, which has been so successful for us. God help the men and women in our armed forces, as well as the Iraqui people.

3 comments:
Thanks for the shout out there Lisa.
I knew from the beginning that his plan would be to send more troops. When they said that none of the ISG's options included increasing troops and when the first poll came out that showed how the vast majority of Americans are opposed to escalation and all that I knew that was going to be his plan. It just had to be. His ego won't allow him to do anything else. He's just being the spoiled little baby that he's always been.
First of all, I'm sorry you've had a bad day at work.
But Jay's post does make things a little easier, doesn't it?
My mom said she heard Bush was going to "Plus-up" the number of troops. Where the hell did that term come from?!? Also, the news and papers around here are all talking about how Bush takes the blame for the way things are going. No kidding. We placed the blame on him long before this. The conservatives think they can get support by playing the "I'm morally superiour because I say that I'm responsible" card. I think the American public is a lot smarter about that now.
Jay, I am realizing more and more that in addition to being a genuine and entertaining blog writer, you are also a keen political analyst. I mean that in all seriousness. Perhaps there is a calling there for you . . .
Kell, thanks for the thoughtful words. I agree about the responsibility thing. It's interesting--I had listened to the speech on the radio and just watched the video. He looked like he was lined up in front of a firing squad, or was dragged up the front steps by his mother to apologize for breaking the window, even though he wasn't really sorry about it.
Post a Comment