Jay, this is a good question you raise. As I completed this map, I used a loose standard that required more than a "drive through" or "fly through" kind of visit--I had to have at least spent time out in the state such that I could say I had a feel for the place. Some drive throughs would offer that, but not all. For instance, I did not include Indiana, even though I have driven through it a number of times, because I don't remember ever stopping there once and the drives through were very short.
Jay, there's more to Indiana than that! On just three short trips through Indiana I managed to go skinny dipping, attend a performance of Die Fledermaus, and visit a monster iron and steel mill. 'Twas fun.
My criterion for having "visited" a state is to have actually set foot on the ground, with the sky above my head. That's how I got to count Alaska and Washington, where I had to walk on the tarmac to change planes.
4 comments:
Does catching a connecting flight at an airport qualify as "visiting" a state? I've always wondered.
One of my "crazy lists of things I want to do" is visit each state capital. I'm way behind on that list.
Jay, this is a good question you raise. As I completed this map, I used a loose standard that required more than a "drive through" or "fly through" kind of visit--I had to have at least spent time out in the state such that I could say I had a feel for the place. Some drive throughs would offer that, but not all. For instance, I did not include Indiana, even though I have driven through it a number of times, because I don't remember ever stopping there once and the drives through were very short.
Nothing personal against Indiana, but if you've driven through it you've visited. There really isn't much reason to stop.
Jay, there's more to Indiana than that! On just three short trips through Indiana I managed to go skinny dipping, attend a performance of Die Fledermaus, and visit a monster iron and steel mill. 'Twas fun.
My criterion for having "visited" a state is to have actually set foot on the ground, with the sky above my head. That's how I got to count Alaska and Washington, where I had to walk on the tarmac to change planes.
Post a Comment