16 August 2005

Lines I wish I had written*

This has to be one of the best sentences written recently, if not ever:

The fact is, no room improves with the presence of a litter box, and most of them are seriously compromised.
From The QC Report.

Perhaps I find this line so great because not only is it funny; it is also true, true, true.

I have a confession to make that may bring serious recriminations from blog land: I don't like cats very much. Sure, I have truces and even "acquaintance-level" friendships with particular cats, like the dear departed Jack Benny, who belonged to my friends the Bracys, or their current cats, Coco and Thunder. But I would never own a cat and cannot wrap my brain around what possesses a person to own one.

Exhibit B in my case against owning a cat (right behind Exhibit A, my fierce allergy to cats) has always been the litter box. I find it disgusting and there is no work-around for it, other than having a cat trained to go outside only, which seems impossible, otherwise why would they even have litter boxes? One of my friends keeps the litterbox in her downstairs guest bathroom, where one must tread for shower-taking purposes while staying with her. I adore her and her house, but cringe every time I am forced to step into that bathroom, with its scattered litter all over the floor and the constant aroma of a litter box, whatever its state of use. People think dogs are a lot of work and they're right--I have two who prove this every day--but they don't take a dump in my house. And for that (and other things), I love them dearly!

*Some credit should be given to Eric Zorn, as his "fine lines" feature caused me to think of this totally-different "lines I wish I had written" feature.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're looking at cats in the wrong way.

First, cats are animals so they belong outside. Just bring them in when you want to pet them (solves the litterbox and fur problem).

Second, while most neighbors frown on dogs getting out of the yard - having read your previous posts on keeping your dog contained, I can relate to your frustration in that area - our U.S. culture seems more tolerant to cats running anywhere they want (assuming the cat has been fixed). Hence, no containment issues.

Third, I grew up as a dog person, and always assumed cats were standoffish. In fact, if you get them when they are young, they are as cuddly as puppies.

So, cats are low maintance and friendly.

P.S. I have enjoyed reading your blog. One of the few that I read. I can relate to your anxiety/excitement of seeking out a new life.

Lisa said...

Thanks for your comments, guys . . . I stand by my canine-based household, but am glad to know you have valued relationships with your cats! :)