18 January 2006

It wasn't all a vale of tears yesterday.

The drive down to my college campus, which is 2 1/2 hours away, went by pretty quickly. Perhaps it is a sign of one's advancing age when a road trip feels like the height of relaxation and adventure. Here are some of the odd, amusing and/or interesting things I encountered on the road:

(1) A radio station whose tag line is, "music and ministry you can trust." I haven't run into any duplicitous music before . . . and if a ministry has to remind me it can be trusted, I'm not so sure it's a ministry in which I want to partake.

(2) I learned that Martha Stewart has a television show that plays over the radio waves, with guests and everything. Her invited guest yesterday struck me as an odd choice for that show: Susan Sarandon, whom I view as just a tad bit more liberal and free-spirited than the irrepressible Martha Stewart. But there was magic on the air waves, as Martha and Susan worked on some craft project involving plates. Susan was moved to reminisce about how she and her kids once did a project with "plastic plates and magic markers," a memory Martha met with stony silence. Trying to loosen things up a bit, Susan commented that their joint project appeared to be a meeting of two type A's and asked Martha if she was the oldest child in her family. Martha didn't quite catch the baton, as she answered, "No, the second child, who mothered all the others. You really must concentrate on this or it isn't going to work." And I'm not sure Susan said another word after that.

(3) There is a place along the way called, "Weber's Shooting Sports." Only in Texas is shooting a "sport."

Other pleasurable moments:

Stopping on the way home to pick up excellent "hots" at this fabulous kolache place:



Hearing the cheesiest of cheesy country songs, "Mr. Mom," which never fails to make me feel "dancy":

Artist/Band: Lonestar
Lyrics for Song: Mr. Mom
Lyrics for Album: Let's Be Us Again

(Richie McDonald/Ron Harbin/Don Pfrimmer)

Lost my job, came home mad
Got a hug and kiss and that's too bad
She said I can go to work until you find another job
I thought I like the sound of that
Watch TV and take long naps
Go from a hand working dad to being Mr. Mom

Well
Pampers melt in a Maytag dryer
Crayons go up one drawer higher
Rewind Barney for the fifteenth time
Breakfast, six naps at nine
There's bubble gum in the baby's hair
Sweet potatoes in my lazy chair
Been crazy all day long and it's only Monday
Mr. Mom

Football, soccer and ballet
Squeeze in Scouts and PTA
And there's that shopping list she left
That's seven pages long
How much smoke can one stove make
The kids won't eat my charcoal cake
It's more than any maid can take
Being Mr. Mom

Well
Pampers melt in a Maytag dryer
Crayons go up one drawer higher
Rewind Barney for the sixteenth time
Breakfast, six naps at nine
There's bubble gum in the baby's hair
Sweet potatoes in my lazy chair
Been crazy all day long and it's only Monday
Mr.Mom

Before I fall in bed tonight
If the dog didn't eat the classifieds
I'm gonna look just one more time

'Cause
Pampers melt in a Maytag dryer
Crayons go up one drawer higher
Rewind Barney for the eighteenth time
Breakfast, six naps at nine
There's bubble gum in the baby's hair
Sweet potatoes in my lazy chair
Been crazy all day long
Oh been crazy all day long and it's only Monday
Mr.Mom

Balancin' checkbooks, juggling bills
Thought there was nothing to it
Baby, now I know how you feel
What I don't know is how you do it


*****************************************

Just a taste of Central Texas for ya!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, sounds like a fun drive. I've taken similar drives from College Station to San Antonio. Central Texas is a different world. I've never tasted beef jerky so loaded down with pepper. How does one spend 4 years at school in Central Texas and come out disliking football? I didn't think that was possible.

Lisa said...

Yes, it is an odd anti-football phenomenon, isn't it, JD? I loved football in high school, when it was played in the crisp fall Friday nights or Saturday afternoons of the Midwest. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the Texas attitude toward football that turned me against the sport. That, and the fact that it just seems silly to play it in 90-degree weather. My college was so small that it didn't have a football team, so that explains why I wasn't burned at the stake for my feelings about football. But my college does have 2 alums playing major league baseball--pitcher Mike Timlin is one of them!