13 July 2006

Baseball week on the blog continues . . .

If you love baseball, you should read this article by Dan McGrath in the Chicago Tribune. He is the Tribune's Associate Managing Editor for Sports and has been a card-carrying member of the Baseball Writers Association of America since 1981. And he was kind enough to share some of his thoughts after 25 years of covering The Great Game.

I have often wondered what it is about baseball that makes stories about the game such a sentimental read. This is unlike any other sport about which I have ever read. Tears spring easily to my eyes when I read a well-written baseball story, and McGrath's article is no exception.

Long live the great game.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 comments:

Jay said...

That's a great article. One of the great things about baseball is that not only can you sit around and drink beer and do these "greatest" lists, you can do like him and say "Ok, greatest list before you were born and after you were born" or "80's only" etc. And then argue about it all night long.

Speaking of arguing, I agree with a lot of list except one: "Best play" Jeter might have made a great play, but the UMP missed the call. Watch the replay and you see Jeremy Giambi is safe!

It's one of my pet-peeves. If Jeter played for anyone else the media would have spent the entire next day discussing the bad call.

Ok, I'll end my rant now. I might have to take his article and do my "best ever". Then everyone can argue with me.