19 July 2006

The price of travel.

For me, it is apparently a serious bronchial infection, initially disguised as a cold. Since yesterday, I have been suffering from a very high fever and other side effects too awful to detail here. I have slept more hours than I thought it possible for a human to sleep in a 24-hour period. On the bright side, I am so sick that I was required to cancel my business trip to Oklahoma City. I did think the contrast between New York and Oklahoma City would be stark and depressing.

If you want to see a video that makes you sick, click here to read the excellent Dan Froomkin's column, then click on his second link to a "subtitled video." In this video, you will see the highest-ranking official of our country, yes, the President of the United States, attending an official dinner at the G-8 Summit. At that dinner, he talks with his mouth full, cusses, demonstrates his ignorance concerning the names of world leaders and geography and otherwise conducts himself in a manner that I daresay does not comport with Emily Post's etiquette guidelines. If that isn't enough, check out this video of our "President" giving an unsolicited, unwelcome neck massage to the female German Chancellor, Angela Merkel. This is but one of the reasons why people from other countries think we, the American people, are stupid and uncultured.

UPDATE: Apparently, David Letterman shares these feelings, as does Maureen Dowd.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Feel better soon Lisa.

As for "dear leader" two theories come to mind. Theory 1 is the tabloid theory that he is drinking again, which I would find highly unsurprising. Theory 2 is that he is bullying Angela Merkel with his fake Texas good ol' frat boy act to assert his dominance over the little woman.

Jay said...

Hope you get better soon Lisa.

My favorite part of the G-8 was when Bush summond Prime Miniter Blair by yelling "Yo, Blair!" And Mr. Blair came running.

Remember how the grownups are supposed to be in charge. And all the stories about the "formality" of the Bush White House? Well, this video shows that either Bush considers himself world emporer or he doesn't have any decent manners whatsoever. I'm gonna go with total lack of maturity and no manners.

Betty said...

I'm with Jenn on this one. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was drinking again, or taking drugs. Sometimes, he is almost incoherent. But, he had to be drunk or high to act the way he did at the G8 dinner. Perhaps the Vodka was flowing too freely.

Yo, Blair, indeed.

DA said...

Get well soon and thx for sharing these moments of utter stupidity