Despite my best intentions, I didn't have a chance to post yesterday, instead enjoying a marathon day at the office (yes, I realize it was Sunday).
On the bright side, however, despite how busy things are for me at work, I have carved out time in the last few weeks to do things that are good for me. Among these things are:
- bugging out on a quiet Friday afternoon a few weeks ago to take care of errands and see a movie
- researching potential new cell/PDA purchases so as not to buy a lemon
- finding out how to back up all the pictures, music, documents and other files stored on my laptop and actually doing it
- planning a trip home for my birthday, on which I will actually visit my family before hitting the one-year mark of not seeing them
- making efforts, however feeble, to make contact with friends I haven't seen in a while due to working so much
- putting in some work time on the weekend that makes my week much more manageable (okay, that is really a work item, but it helps me personally too)
- finding someone to help me dig out from under the pile of "at-home projects" I have to do
I searched Craigslist a few weeks ago and found a few likely candidates for the job, but couldn't get anyone to call me back; I was also nervous about using a stranger for tasks that would have her in my home, with my dogs, without me. Fate intervened and yesterday I struck a deal with a friend of a friend who is an organizational freak looking for something to do while her kids are in school this fall. I am thrilled to have someone who is so on top of things and whom I can trust with my house and my dogs to help whittle down my to-do list! She will work on my projects part-time, on her own timetable, with the exception that I want to be able to have some people over around the holidays and would like the basic interior stuff and the awning to be finished by then. The cost is very reasonable, especially for someone I know I can trust.
If you're wondering what kinds of things I could possibly need someone to do for me, they include:
- researching and finding options for a new awning for the porch on my house, as mine is completely frayed and flapping in the wind
- having someone finish out the ceiling area above the light installed in my breakfast area, which for some reason was hung from in the midst of a gaping hole
- finding switchplates for several light switches in the kitchen, which a contractor left uncovered, and replacing the dingy switchplates upstairs
- overseeing installation of a new automatic porch light and yard lights
- attending to door lock issues on a few of my doors
- arranging for the repair of an area of my house where I had a water leak
- getting touch-ups of a few "paint dings" in my dining room
- having someone fix the closet door that came off its track
- coordinating installation of a silver-edged shower door, now that I've changed all my other bathroom items from brass to silver
- finding someone who can stop the constant running of my commode and solve the mystery of why there appears to be a rusty buildup in both commodes
- overseeing the cleaning (literally) and painting of my bedroom closets and laundry room
- coordinating with Goodwill regarding all the clothes I'm pulling out of my closet and all the other items appropriate for donation that I'm weeding out as I simplify
- selling all my purged books to Half Price Books
- researching house painters and the cost for having my house painted
- coordinating new landscaping for my front yard
- coordinating the cleanup of my back yard
- motivating me to purge, simplify and organize at home by her mere presence

4 comments:
What a list. Did you visit the assistant's house to make sure it was in working order (i.e., does she actually know anyone that can fix all that stuff).
Now that you have a staff, when you have your people look into PDA/Phone combinations, my first suggestion is don't. Having tried several, I've decided they just don't make a pretty combination. Get something you can access email from and get a nice small phone. I have never been happier. I use to worry about the inconvenience of two devices, but I realized if I need to be checking my email I usually have my briefcase with me anyway so I can carry the PDA in there. That frees up a small cell phone for weekends when I don't have to be worrying about email. That being said, if you insist on a combination, the Treo worked well for me.
Well, I would have applied for the job if I knew you were looking. Of course, after reading the list I don't know what I would do after the first week. hahahaha
Ok, kidding, I'm not THAT efficient.
Back when I worked in San Antonio my boss would give me a list of things that needed done at the begining of every shift. Usually a ridiculously long list. I would look at the list and say "what do you want me to do after lunch?" He told me, "the faster you get that done, the faster another list comes your way. And the second list always sucks". So, I always made the list last.
I just thought I'd share that with you for no reason in particular.
Ah, efficiency. Can you loan her to us when you are done? We need to finish tiling the bathroom, install a sink, clean out the guest room...
On second though, maybe I need to get my own assistant.
No suggestions on the pda/phone combination. I barely use my cell phone, except for emergency calls.
JD: My friend tells me that her friend (the assistant) has a really nice house and keeps it well). I appreciate your thoughts on the PDA. I have gone the Blackberry and Cell Phone route before, and I now have a Treo. But a longer while ago, I had an IPAQ PDA that I loved (before it included a phone), and I was tempted when I learned they now have an IPAQ with a phone. But the current version has glitches and I'm now eagerly awaiting the release of and reviews on the new version to see if they fix them.
Jay: funny story about the lists! I've been meaning to ask, in all seriousness, if you have a Home Depot near you and have any interest in working there.
Jenn: see, you're blowing my myth that married people have all the time in the world to take care of these tasks! ;P
Post a Comment