21 August 2006

Movie Review: The Oh in Ohio

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I saw this movie last Sunday because Joshua Newman of Self Aggrandizement told me I should. Let it be known that his company (Cyan) funded the movie, or distributed it, or something like that. Can you say: Ulterior motive? And now, as I write this review, he writes on his web site about how his bank balance has been padded by ticket sales (while also updating us on his recent vacation in Hawaii). Hmph.

The best things about this movie are the performances of Parker Posey and Danny DeVito. Posey is funny and warm and evocative. DeVito is beguiling (how many times has that been written?) and warm and interesting. Their performance are excellent and may make it worth the $8 price of admission, but I will have to think about that.

The worst thing about this movie is the lack of a story to tell. Mind you, I am not a hard-to-please movie watcher: I like "You've Got Mail," for goodness' sake. I am the kind of movie watcher who uncritically soaks in the movie for its entertainment value, letting it unfold before me without trying to guess what will happen next or how it will end. But at the end of this movie, all I really knew was, "She doesn't want to get back together with her husband and she may/may not end up getting fired at her job."

Long story short: this movie could have been much more, but was not.

2 comments:

Kell said...

Well, looking at the poster, I must say it doesn't really seem like your kind of movie. But then I went and watched the trailer. I really like the people in it, too, and it does look funny. But I get the feeling we saw the funniest moments in the trailer. The scene with Liza Minnelli looks hilarious.

Lisa said...

I loved Twins, too, Phil! And DeVito was great in Living Out Loud.