Today was quite eventful. First, my client and I almost accidentally drove to Arkansas, rather than to the small Oklahoma town in the other direction that was our destination. It actually turned into a bonding experience. Our meetings ran late, but I was still able to catch the last half of the minor league baseball game of the Oklahoma Redhawks, a AAA team for the Texas Rangers. They were playing the Cardinals minor league team from Memphis at the Bricktown Ballpark.
Here are some things I saw:
- The longest beer lines I have ever seen at any ballpark
- an Elvis "mascot" played by a guy with a distinctly British accent, who tries to engage the crowd in games and antics in between innings
- a guy in the stands who yelled out that the Elvis mascot is a "f-ing fag"
- a mass singing of the show tune, "Oklahoma"
- a scoreboard that plays commercials for a hospice in between innings
- a scoreboard that welcomes "Olga Pavlov from Italy"
- a guy who enjoys pointing to his wife's posterior to his buddies while she stands to cheer on the team, as if the buddies should "take note"
- a shortstop charged with two errors on the same play--one for a botched catch and another for a botched throw
- a "Dawg Pound" area with an array of hotdogs named in honor of different Midwestern cities
- a place where the ticket sellers are so nice that when you ask what the best seat available is, instead of selling you that $15 seat, they tell you you should buy a $6 general admission ticket and sit wherever you like

2 comments:
WTF? That's one of the weirdest comments I've seen. Whew.
OK, back to your post. Mass singing of Oaklahoma? How cool. And I'd like to know my husband appreciates certain features of my body, but I'd rather that be one of those sweet little things that a couple shares. Ya know?
Nothing like spending some time in beautiful, exotic and exciting Okie City. I've been there twice, but didn't make it to the ballpark. I've been told that it's pretty nice though.
Post a Comment