25 August 2006

Where not to stay when you visit St. Louis

The Millenium Hotel near Busch Stadium.

As much as I travel, I believe this is the only time I have actually checked into a hotel, then checked out, without staying there. Here are the things one finds (or at least, that I found) at this hotel:

  • you have to park in a dark and dirty garage on the other side of a busy street, then either dodge the traffic or take escalators down to a pedestrian tunnel approximately 2000 leagues below sea level to get to the hotel--I don't mind parking and walking, but it is a significant and treacherous trek to this hotel
  • their computers are down, so they send you up to your room without knowing if it is clean yet--in my case, this meant a 15-minute wait outside the room while the poor housekeeper hurriedly tried to finish
  • they leave the prior guests' dirty bar glasses sitting outside your door
  • on the cushion of the soft chair in the room there are spots of . . . something unidentified . . . that makes you want to throw up when you think about sitting in that chair
  • the closet is located in the bathroom, so you get to hang your clothes on a scratched-up rod while looking at spots of black mold on the ceiling of the closet
  • their in-room internet doesn't work, even after a lengthy call to the "help desk"
  • while waiting for the "help desk" to get your internet to work, you have the joy of gazing at some unidentified substance that is smeared on the lamp on the desk
  • when you go to the business services center to try to use a computer to find another hotel, you find that you are to be charged 20 cents a minute to use the computer
  • the smell of smoke hangs everywhere because they put the elevators to the rooms right next to the wall-less bar in which everyone smokes
I wanted to get out of this hotel so desperately that I found a room at another hotel, took the trouble to repack my suitcase and briefcase, lug them across the traffic laden street to the parking garage and drive to the other side of Busch Stadium to my new hotel. Thankfully, I found a very nice room at the Westin that did not cost much more than my room at the Godforsaken Hotel and is a million times nicer and cleaner. I felt more relaxed just by walking in the door of this room.

Anyway, that being said:

Go, Cubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and

Cards suck!

3 comments:

Jay said...

I wouldn't have stayed at that hotel either. YUK!

But, I don't think it's neccessary to take out your frustration of the hotel on the Cards by saying they suck. I mean, a quick review of the standings and team histories would show that it's hard for any organization to suck worse than the Cubs. hahaha

But, it's ok. It doesn't bother us Cards fans when Cub's fans say things like that. We understand how frustrating it must be to be a Cubs fan. An ownership that does nothing but take advantage of and screw over it's fans every chance it gets. Team management that is knows it doesn't have to put together a legitimate team cause the fans will shell out the money for tickets anyway. And players who know that it doesn't matter if they win or not cause, well it's the cubs.

Cards fans always know the score. The Cubs focus on trying to have a winning record against the Cards and the Cards are focusing on winning the division and competing for championships.

It's simple really. The Cubs are an entertainment orgainization and the Cards are a baseball organization.

I can understand how frustrating that can get for Cubs fans.

Kell said...

My my my, Lisa, see what you started. You baseball fans! The debate has begun!

What an icky hotel, "icky" being a technical term. No wonder you went somewhere else. I've done that once myself.

Lisa said...

Yes, Kell, look what I started. Clearly, the bad karma from posting a little comment just to rile Jay up backfired on me terribly (for anyone who doesn't know--and why would you, really--the Cards swept my beloved Cubs this weekend, and it was very, very painful).