
(View from my porch, with Christmas lights. Photo by me)
A Clear View To A New Life . . . that is the name I chose for this blog so many months ago. And for the first time, I feel there is real truth in it. Yes, I made progress this year toward the life I want to have! I set some loose goals for myself at the beginning of the year, and accomplished some of those while also encountering the unexpected . . .
(1) I made progress toward my goal of working full-time for my favorite civil rights group. I am on the Board of my local chapter and am known by the folks in our state office. Frighteningly, there is talk of making me the President of our local chapter in our upcoming election! But most importantly, I am now in a position to do as much civil rights work as I can find time to do, and I have the opportunity to make a real difference in so many areas. This is a dream come true for me, and I feel so lucky to be in this place at age 37. If I had done this immediately after law school, I'm not sure I would have realized how lucky I am, and for that I am grateful. I am also grateful because many people don't find out what their dream is until much later in life, if ever, and I appreciate learning of it while I still have time to do something about it.
(2) Hopefully, by the end of January, a vote will confirm me as a shareholder in my firm. This is something I have wanted for a long time to "check off my list" and I can't wait to do it. I want to continue to grow at work, both as a lawyer and as a business developer. I feel I am on a good path, but I want to continue to improve.
(3) Perhaps most significantly (and I wonder how this might relate to the first two things on this list), for the first time in eight years, I have found peace regarding my Dad's death. This means I still miss him, but the magical healing powers of the heart have finally kicked in for me. I could hear Christmas music this year without hating it (heck, I even purchased some at Digital Janitor's suggestion). I could see Father's Day cards and gifts in the store through eyes unblurred by tears. I could speak of my Dad matter-of-factly with people without it being a big deal. I still have a soft spot in my heart for old men and still find tears in my eyes during the playing of the National Anthem at baseball games, but I'm not sure I want that to change. In 2007, I will focus on improving my relationships with my Mom and (if it is possible) my brother.
(4) In my own tiny way, I did my part to nudge the Cubs toward the glory that is a World Series Win. I engaged in a brief economic boycott of the Cubs at the end of the season, vowing that if they didn't take drastic steps to improve the team, they wouldn't see any more of my money anytime soon. Well, the Cubs did make big changes, with Cubs General Manager Jim Hendry even wheeling and dealing while being hooked up to an EKG for tests during the Winter Meetings in Florida. So what if I didn't actually "tell" the Cubs I was boycotting them--I'm sure they felt the effect immediately after I made the decision, without any telling being necessary. :) My love affair with the Cubs will continue in 2007, both financially and otherwise, and I hope to see them play while visiting some baseball parks I have never seen before, with Dodger Stadium and Coors Field (in Denver) being prime candidates for a trip.
(5) I read some new books this year, though not as many as I would have liked. The ratio of books read v. books unread in my house is still much in favor of the "unread" books. I hope to do something about that in 2007.
(6) My house was practically falling down around me and I now have tentatively begun edging down the path to putting it back together, with the assistance of a great housekeeper, a sweet and enthusiastic personal assistant to coordinate repairs and such and a group of contractors I like and trust. I hope to have my house restored to "showplace" condition next year. You all are invited to the party in celebration!
(7) I wanted to devote time to creative endeavors, giving myself the chance to write about non-work related things and to work on my photography skills. I did both of those things this year (I'm not saying I did them WELL, mind you!), and plan to continue! In 2007, I will work on my technical skills in photography instead of relying solely on intuition and the luck of good lighting. I also hope to take the Starbucks guy up on his offer for me to show him a disc of my photography, with the possibility of having my own "show" at the shop.
(8) I have stopped doing things that hurt me, except in the areas of eating poorly, not exercising and not getting enough sleep to be at my sharpest. I intend to do something serious about those things in 2007, making healthy eating and exercise a habit.
(9) I took action against the malaise that some people call depression, finally accepting medication to combat the problem. And it worked! I rarely spend an entire day in bed now and, as you can see above, have accomplished more than I dreamed possible this year!
The only major goal I had for last year and did not fulfill was to visit Cuba. I'm still dreaming of such a trip, but not sure when/how it will happen. I will cross off a long-wanted trip to Hawaii early in the year. But I'm dreaming of another trip in the fall . . . perhaps a road trip in the northeast to see fall foliage and other parts of the country I have yet to take in.
What are you proud of regarding your 2006? What do you plan to do with your 2007?
30 December 2006
Taking Inventory of 2006 and Planning for 2007.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Bravo, Lisa! While I have comments on every one of your points, I don't want this to get out of hand. Let me just say that I'm a fan, and I'll be cheering you on in 2007.
I can't wait to see the pictures.
Congratulations, Lisa. You had a successful 2006 and I'm sure 2007 will be an even better year for you, not to mention the years to come after that.
And I loved your last post, too. Just thought I'd mention that since I didn't read it until today.
Can't wait for your "updated house warming" party!
My goodness, Lisa, you accomplished so much in a year's time, that you made me tired! I think I'll just take it easy and enjoy my retirement again this year.
OUTSTANDING Lisa! You had a great year. Hell, you accomplished more this year than I have in the last 5 years!
Seriously though. Well done!
Oh and, "I hope to have my house restored to "showplace" condition next year. You all are invited to the party in celebration!"
Then you will have to bring all the contractors back to repair what all we trash. LOL
Happy New Years Lisa!
Aww, thanks you guys! But I know you have accomplished a lot this year yourselves . . . I DO read your blogs, you know!
Lisa, It has been a pleasure to see all that you accomplished this year. My interest in your blog was piqued 18 months ago after finding your photos. You mentioned a dream job that you wanted but didn't mention what it was. After six months of suspense, you finally let on that it was to work with your favorite civil rights group. I am so glad you have now started on that journey. Have a great New Year.
P.S. One of my dream trips is also to Cuba
Hey, J.D., when did you leave this comment? I just saw it! Thanks for the kind words . . . that means a lot to me. I hope you make it to Cuba . . . I can see from your postings from Mexico that we have similar travel styles. I know you would make the most of the Cuba experience!
Post a Comment