Brett gave me the idea to do this . . . and I relish the task:
1. Worked as a Bus Supervisor for Detasselers in Illinois.
2. Rode on the back of a Jeep in a parade in North Little Rock, Arkansas, while volunteering last fall with the John Kerry campaign.
3. Watched the Turkish version of "American Pie" with a new Japanese friend and Turkish twin brothers after the boys' mother cooked us a traditional Turkish dinner, while on a six week trip alone through Europe.
4. Experienced the joy of my law school friends making a game of using my last name in the titles of a multitude of songs just for laughs, including this one.
5. Accidentally locked my dogs in the bathroom (broken lock) just as I needed to be dropping them off at the kennel before catching a flight. (My saintly friend Dan saved the day by rescuing the dogs and dropping them off at the kennel just as I arrived at my gate). If you're wondering how the dogs came to be in the bathroom, I was trying to load my luggage into the car without them escaping before I could herd them into the car as well, so I ushered the dogs into the small guest bathroom that is just inside my front door for what I expected to be 60 seconds.
6. Traveled to see the Chicago Cubs play in New York, Chicago, St. Louis and Houston, all in the same season.
7. Broke my nose playing softball in my junior year of high school, due to wearing new contacts without any warning to be careful for the change in depth perception they would bring.
8. Perfected the art of "rolling," an activity particular to those attending my small liberal arts college.
9. Achieved the most disproportionate LSAT score and GPA in the history of the universe.
10. Seen the movie "Philadelphia Story" 216 times.
11. Helped my friend Jim meet the woman I think he will marry.
12. Read and loved Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged while a progressive's heart beats inside me.
13. Poked Brett Hull in the shoulder--twice.
14. Road-tripped to New Mexico where, among other things, I bonded with a delightful old man and his grandson while poking around in their antique store, which is housed in an old livery stable that is on the National Historic Register.
15. Met a guy on the Island of Ios, Greece, who looked familiar . . . I learned this was because he studied for the bar exam at the table next to the one where I studied for the bar exam, in the Rice University business school library.
Bonus item:
16. Chided Salman Rushdie for his Yankees baseball ego-centrism.
17 August 2005
Fifteen Things I've Done that You Probably Haven't
Posted by Lisa at 11:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Hey, Brett, glad you enjoyed the list!
Item #8 refers to the practice of driving with friends out to one of the many country roads that surround the small rural town where my college was located, then upon reaching such a road, slowing the car down to permit it to "roll" along at its own speed, giving it just enough gas to keep the car moving forward. Typically, a car in which one was rolling would travel at no more than 10 miles per hour. Students in the car might be talking, listening to music, etc. On occasion, beverages may have been present. I realize this probably sounds ridiculous, but there was something magical that made rolling fun every time. Different rolls would have different tones to them as well . . . some would be rollicking and some would be more quiet. Some involved exploration of an allegedly haunted cotton gin. One of my most memorable "rolls" was one that happened when several of us were back for an alumni event the year after my graduation . . . it involved 10 people, a large Chevy Blazer and a rolling path that mysteriously emerged near a wild animal farm on which emus and other exotic things were found.
I recently learned that my dentist's hygienist also attended my college, and that students were rolling when she was there 10 years before me. I recently met a guy who graduated from my college recently, however, and he did not even know what rolling is! This was highly disappointing to me, though I'm not sure if the practice has died out or if he just happened to not mix with folks "in the know" about this during his time there.
#9 involves a less interesting story. While my grade point average was respectable, but not off-the-charts fabulous, I am an excellent taker of standardized tests and aced the LSAT (Law School Admissions Test), finishing in the top 1% among those who took it.
So there you go . . . "intriguing" items explained!
Post a Comment