I worried a bit today that someone might read my last post and think I'm about to leap head-first from a bridge or tall building. Although writing that post was a surprisingly cathartic experience, I am not about to throw in the towel. However, I am very much in need of a good, hearty, lengthy laugh, so I thought I would share with you some web sites that have made me laugh recently.
This site, called Overheard in New York, is one of my favorite go-to's lately for a good laugh. The site appears to consist of posting funny exchanges that are overheard by folks walking in Manhattan and its surrounds. Many of the exchanges are heard while riding the subway. The premise of this site combines two of my favorite things in the world: laughing and eavesdropping. This post from yesterday is one of my recent favorites:
Woman: Oh, I wanted a large popcorn. I thought you said this size was the biggest?Another site I have been enjoying recently is called bighappyfunhouse. The guy who runs it loves "vernacular photography," which appears to mean "old photographs about people, places and things one does not personally know." Just as fun as the pictures themselves are the comments that people make about them, so be sure to check out the comments if you stop by for a visit!
Movie guy: It is.
Woman: What about the bucket over there? It looks bigger.
Movie guy: It is.
Woman: Well, if this is the large, what's the bucket?--City Cinemas, E. 86th Street
Finally, sometimes you just need some Simpsons to remind you how crazy life is. This place has an amazing repository of Simpsons stuff, including a very detailed episode guide and episode capsules.
Enjoy! Have a laugh!

5 comments:
9. I didn't know Reading was dangerous. Well. There you go.
http://www.themanwhofellasleep.com/gossip.html
Thanks for the tip, Tanner! The only thing better than overhearing subway talk is overhearing subway talk with British accents and phrasing.
P.S. Did you really post this at 4:38 a.m.? I didn't know human beings could be mobile at that hour.
Besides laughing, I think you'll benefit if you try to relax a little every day. This place works wonders for me...
http://academic.bowdoin.edu/zen/
Thanks, quirogam! You've provided a link to a really cool web site . . . I plan to visit it often.
P.S. Quirogam, are you really from Madrid? (My site meter thinks you are.) I love Madrid and had a great time when I was there in 2000! One of my projects on my to-do list is to update my travel blog with the photos from that trip.
Post a Comment