17 December 2005

Bowling



During my trip to Chicago last week (sadly, no one won my guessing contest), I happened to pass this bowling alley. My grandmother, who loved bowling with her co-workers and friends, took me here many times. I loved hanging out with her, trying to bowl just a little bit better than I had the last time and the ritual of everyone talking about the visit by "Cora's grandchildren." Just seeing this sign brought back some wonderful memories for me.

I think of my Grammie often at Christmas time, as she always made things special. She decorated her house to the nines, including a working small train and village at the foot of her Christmas tree. She cooked and baked, making the best pies and fudge ever. Most importantly, she hosted the entire family on my mother's side at her house (which, for good measure, truly was "over the river and through the woods") for a meal, gift exchange and overall fellowship that formed the foundation for the holiday.

At least part of the reason I have traveled the last few Christmases, but not gone home, is that it is hard for me to be there without her and the special something that she brought to the holidays. Next year, I will try to begin my own traditions that she would have loved . . . decorating and being diligent about gift-buying, etc. But this year, I will just go to New York City and enjoy the beauty created by others.

0 comments: