Today I saw, "Good Night, and Good Luck," a movie about Edward R. Murrow's hand in taking down Senator Joe McCarthy. It was excellent. I loved the story, the black and white film, the acting (especially Murrow) and, of course, yet another chance to see George Clooney.
The movie also made me realize what a keen interest I have taken in journalism and media issues in recent years. So much so that I have considered going to journalism school and putting my interest in research, writing ability and understanding of legal issues to work in a totally different way. I needed to run to Borders Books after the movie to pick up a few things. Inspired by the movie, I searched for a book on Murrow and/or journalism. I struck out on both counts, as they had none.
Most surprising to me was that this part of a short shelf appeared to comprise their entire "Media" selection:
It was set in the midst of row after row of "entertainment" books about movies stars and movies. Apparently, books having to do with the Third Estate come in a distant second to books about entertainers. What's up with that?
18 December 2005
The Media?
Posted by Lisa at 10:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment